4 Steps to Nailing an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As college students, there is an inevitable task that all of us must go through in order to achieve success; the dreaded interview. If you haven’t experienced a job interview yet, you are bound to in the next few years and it’s always a good idea to be as prepared as possible in order to ace the interview and get the job! Here are a couple tips to remember the next time you’re preparing for that important interview.

Step 1, have a well-rounded resume. Your resume is a representation of who you are and should include your schooling, previous job experience, volunteer work or extra-curricular activities, and special skills. Many college students who are just starting out may not have much job experience so it’s important for them to gain some volunteer experience or become more involved in clubs and organizations—both of which are attainable for all students.

Step 2, knowledge of company and job position. During an interview, there is no question whether you’ll be asked about the company or tested on your knowledge of the position. Instead of being flustered and not knowing what to say, do a little research beforehand. Most, if not all companies have websites or Facebook pages that are easy to find; a little research never hurt anyone. This will also give you an opportunity to learn more about the job you’re applying for.

Step 3, dress to impress. It sound cliché, but what you wear to an interview could make or break you. Showing up in jeans and a t-shirt is never a good idea; it sends the message that you’re lazy and unprofessional. Instead, choose a nice pair of dress pants and a blouse or a simple dress paired with a blazer. Dressing in work appropriate clothing shows that you care about your appearance which in turn, tells your interviewee that you care about your work; it also gives you a great boost of confidence!

Step 4, body language. How you act during your interview is vital to whether you get the job or not. Sitting upright with good posture shows that you’re confident and having a good eye contact with your interviewee makes conveys that you’re attentive. Facial expressions should be kept pleasant and intrigued; frowning or breaking eye contact tells the interviewee that you’re bored.

There are many different things to focus on while preparing for or to remember during the interview but if you remember these four simple factors, you are bound to nail that interview! Good luck!

Photo Source: 1

Bri Capik

Montclair

Hi, my name's Bri, I'm currently a Junior Communications Studies major and English minor at Montclair State University. I love dance, reading, crocheting, coffee, anything Disney, and of course, writing for Her Campus!