4 Day Trip Ideas for NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

“Start spreadin’ the news. I am leaving today. I want to be apart of it. New York, New York…” Frank Sinatra couldn’t be more right. Who doesn’t want to be a part of New York City? It’s unlike any other place in the world. The energy you feel when you go there is unbelievable. It’s beautiful, diverse, full of inspiration, and of course, sleepless. You can never get bored in New York City. With the holidays rolling around, NYC is the place to be during this time of year. Since MSU is a short 15 miles away from the city of dreams, HC Montclair thought it would be great to give you some ideas of a day trip there. Here is a list of the things you cannot miss out on while in NYC:

1. Broadway Shows. While in NYC, make sure to hit up a Broadway show. They may sound boring but in actuality, they are so much fun! There are so many to choose from, but there are a few that just cannot be missed. Wicked the Musical is the story about Elphaba, or as most of us know her, Wicked Witch of the West, before she ever met Dorothy. The Lion King is always so great, no matter how old you are. The cast and the music are beautiful. If you’re a fan of 80’s rock music then you must check out Rock of Ages. It’s absolutely fantastic. For some holiday spirit, visit the Radio City Music Hall and see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Some other Broadway shows you can check out are, Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia, Chicago, Mary Poppins, and Newsies. Tickets can be costly, so be sure to set this up in advance.
  2. Holiday Fun. The holidays in NYC are truly unforgettable. In Greenwich Village, the Halloween Parade is actually listed as one of the 100 Things to do Before You Die! Millions of people attend the parade on Halloween night. You can go to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade on the famous 34th Street and watch the cool floats and your favorite celebrities come by. There are tons of performances by bands, Broadway shows, etc. Once Thanksgiving is over, it’s time for the Christmas decorations. On Wednesday, November 28th, 2012, NYC will put up the infamous Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree and it’s definitely something you cannot miss. It’s magical and the Christmas spirit is undeniable. The tree will be up till January 7th, 2013, so you’ll have plenty of time to visit. Also, if you’re spending the entire day in NYC, take a walk down Fifth Avenue, Madison Avenue, 34th Street and see the creative, beautiful, inspiring holiday window displays of major department stores such as Macy’s, Lord and Taylor, Barney’s, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdales, and Saks Fifth Avenue. The best part? This is all free! I know a lot people think ice-skating in Rockefeller Center sounds amazing but I don’t suggest you ice skate there. It’s expensive, small, and the wait is too long. Wollman Rink in Central Park is a much better option and is pretty popular. For full day access, it’s only $10.25 for adults on weekdays and $14.75 on weekends. To rent ice skates, it’s $6.25.
  3. Restaurants. There are restaurants galore in NYC. Some expensive and others relatively inexpensive. If you want to get the European feel, you must go to Astoria, Queens. Astoria is mostly known for their Greek, Lebanese, Arabic, Moroccan cafes, restaurants, bakeries, and hookah bars. You can find most of these places on 30th Avenue, Steinway Street, and Broadway. In the heart of Manhattan, enjoy burgers, hotdogs, French fries, and shakes at Shake Shack, frozen hot chocolate at the notorious Serendipity, a delicious slice of NY pizza at Totonno’s in Brooklyn, listen awesome music at Hard Rock Café in Times Square, eat with aliens at Mars 2112, and travel back to the 1950’s at Stardust Diner.
  4. Attractions. NYC is so big and there are so many places to see. For example, the museums, the zoos, bridges, and the botanical garden. New York has some of the most beautiful and interesting museums. It’s definitely a learning experience. The Metropolitan Museum of Art has an absolute stunning array of ancient Greek, Roman, and French art. Admission is actually a donation. It’s to your discretion if you want to donate or not. Calling all science lovers, the American Museum of Natural History is one museum you cannot skip a visit on. The exhibits are truly unbelievable and admission is only $19. Don’t forget to take a trip the Bronx Zoo (Admission: $16.95) or Central Park Zoo (Admission: $12). The Botanical Garden in the Bronx offers some exhibits. For example, in October they have the haunted pumpkin garden and during the holidays they have a holiday train show that takes you through replicas of famous places in NYC. Check NYBG.org for more details. Also, the scenery in Central Park is beautiful and feel free to ride your bike or rollerblade.

Now, taking my suggestions to heart, let NYC be your playground! The city if full of life and you can be yourself without being judged. Be young, have fun, and don’t worry about a thing while you’re in the Big Apple, collegiettes!

Photo Sources:
http://roseandhudson.tumblr.com/
http://floooat.tumblr.com/post/21547178653/sass-bide-my-love

I'm an eternal optimist, aspiring PR girl, fashionsta and friend. I love my position at Her Campus Montclair. Being Editor-in-Chief has taught me how to manage time, be creative with content, and most of all, how to be an effective leader. I'm currently the social media manager at the New Yorker Hotel and Manhattan Center in NYC. When I was the social media director for HC Montclair, I learned just how incredible being connected with the world could be for any business. Social media has become a part of almost everyone's life. I adore it for all it can do and hope to one day own a social media consulting firm that can go into struggling businesses or start up businesses and help them out.