3 Tips to Start Your Semester Off with a BANG: Good Grades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

As a college student, achieving straight A’s is much more easier said than done and less common than it was in our earlier years of education (K-8 and high school – now THAT’S a #ThrowbackThursday!), but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Here are three tips to help you start the semester off with a bang – and hopefully – with straight A’s!

PRIORITIZE. Today’s college student is not only busy completing classwork but is also busy participating in various organizations, practicing with their sports team and working a day or night shift at his/her job, all the while trying to balance a social life. With all of this going on and more, prioritizing is perhaps the single, most effective thing you can do for a successful college career and more importantly, a successful life.

*Here’s a tip: organize your priorities by essential priorities, important priorities and optional priorities. Know what is non-negotiable versus what can be negotiated.

TIME-MANAGEMENT. “There aren’t enough hours in a day” is not an excuse for lack of productivity. There are 24 hours in one day. Schedule some of these hours for the things of which you have prioritized and you might just find that 24 hours is more than enough time. Your time is valuable. Treat it as such and manage it appropriately.  

*Here’s a tip: purchase a student planner. Put it to use. Writing down what you have to do and when it has to be done not only serves as constant reminder – it also lets you see how much you’ve accomplished on a day-to-day basis and how much more you can accomplish next time.

BREAK-TIME. It is perfectly fine to take a break, so long as your break is a break and not a vacation (summer vacation is the exception!) because all work and no play makes for an unhappy college student. Come on, live a little!  

*Here’s a tip: take a walk, read a book, watch a movie, excercise, chat with friends, go out on a weekend and socialize – do whatever it is that refreshes you. Treat yourself. After all, you deserve it.

Good luck this semester, collegiettes! And just in case you need a extra bit of motivation…

Imani is a full-time junior student attending Montclair State University where she majors in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing. She is happy to be the Assistant Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus Montclair chapter!
Jennifer is a Feature Writer for Her Campus Montclair and a junior at Montclair State University. Jennifer is majoring in nutrition with a concentration in dietetics with a biology minor. She absolutely loves to write and dance and enjoys expressing her creativity through writing and dancing! She recently began practicing yoga and she loves it very much. Jennifer hopes to become a Registered Dietitian and one day write for a health & fitness magazine. Health is very important to Jennifer and she wants to share her love of health and fitness with the world!