This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Everyone knows the standard tradition of setting goals at the beginning of the year in order to motivate yourself; it’s a useful tool and has been proven useful. Yet, with our current social climate, world issues, and our own personal goals, it’s never taboo to pick role models in order to remind yourself who you want to become. In fact, some perfect candidates live right in the fantasy world of Game of Thrones.

Here are three awesome ladies to embody this year (and hopefully, this will keep you busy enough that the daunting wait until the eighth season in 2019 will pass by unnoticed).

Daenerys Targaryen 

Daenerys has become one of the most popular television characters today and that popularity does not have to do with her dragons alone. She is a young, motivated queen with an unyielding faith in herself. Her efforts to reach Westeros and reclaim her family’s throne have enthralled countless audience members, because no matter what is thrown in her path, Daenerys always comes out on top. This year, make sure to take her self-confidence with you when you pursue the goals you’ve set up and when, if at any moment, a challenge blocks your path when you least expect it. No matter the hardship, if you believe you can overcome it, you will. 

P.S. If you’re ever stuck in a tight spot, don’t forget to reach out for help. Daenerys is no stranger to pride, but even she knows that when in doubt, contact your trusted Ser Jorah.

Sansa Stark

Sansa has faced some of the most constant and unrelenting harsh treatment out of all of the characters on Game of Thrones, as well as losing a majority of her family (caught under the notion that they were all gone, for quite some time). Yet, despite her horrible conditions, she has grown wise and has remained, at her core, a kind, just royal. Make sure to take Sansa’s kindness with you during events and social interactions this year, and leave a mark on everyone you meet so that they might remember you later on; you never know when you’ll need a helping hand. As well as kindness, Sansa has a certain set of skills that are priceless in value when put into action, although only a select few of people are smart enough to notice them. In case of future competition, make sure to keep some of your talents hidden, so you may have the upper hand. 

P.S. Don’t rush to think you’re in the clear once it seems like you’ve won. Arrogance can be the death of you—it sure was for Littlefinger.

Margaery Tyrell

Margaery, compared to the others, might not seem like an obvious character to carry with you in life, due to separation from the main character list and her disqualification from the game of thrones. Yet, during her time in King’s Landing, she showed powerful assets that are not easy to notice, but extremely dangerous and effective when put into action. Margaery is cunning, not strong in physicalities or even name (Highgarden is not the most powerful kingdom), but intelligent, wise, and a sly piece on the chessboard. Use her skills in classes, internships, and possible careers, even in personal affairs you might get tangled in. Cunning isn’t always a negative, or rather an “evil,” as Margaery has exhibited because when done right it might make you stand out among others, impress a possible employer and open up opportunities that wouldn’t have appeared otherwise. 

Now this isn’t a call to sabotage your friends in class or ruin the chance for others in line for an internship—it’s simply a suggestion to take a risk, stop talking in a sickly sweet voice at interviews and read people to the best of your ability in order to aid yourself in succeeding at the task at hand.

Good luck this year and remember: nothing has been accomplished by sitting politely and waiting, as these ladies have surely proven. 

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ashley Altieri

Montclair '19

Ashley is a double major at Montclair State University; she majors in English and Psychology, while minoring in Mythology. She is part of the Pinterest team for her branch and is also a contributing writer. When not getting wound up in academia, she's either with her friends, with her computer, or with a good cup of coffee. Instagram: ashleyaltrose
Danielle has held various positions at Her Campus Montclair. Starting as a Contributing Writer during her sophomore year at MSU in 2015, she later became President & Editor-in-Chief during her senior year in 2017. She completed her B.A. in Communication & Media Arts with a minor in Leadership Development at Montclair State University in January 2018. Besides writing, she's a lover of cozy cafés, good lyrics, inspiring speeches, mountainous retreats, and sunsets on the skyline. She enjoys capturing the moment and has a passion for travel and discovery. You can often find her exploring NYC or venturing to one of her favorite East Coast spots.