This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

2022 has come and gone, but the memories and experiences I was blessed with throughout the year are still fresh in my mind and have undoubtedly already impacted my 2023. With the start of the year filled with endless possibilities and new goals and hopes, I can’t help but thank God for all ‘22 brought me.

Here are 22 things I’m grateful 2022 brought me (in the most random order you can think of):

1. Self Awareness – Even though it’s not pleasant to think about, the latter part of 2022 showed me a lot of things within myself I need to work on and improve, which I’m happy to be able to address.
  2. People’s Patience – Becoming the most self-aware I have ever been of my flaws and areas I need growth made me appreciate the immense patience and grace people have shown me in response, especially at times I don’t deserve it.
  3. My Nephew’s Many Firsts – His first time saying “Yoyo” (Lolo – “Grandpa” in Tagalog), “Yoya” (Lola – “Grandma”), “Nina” (Supposed to be “Tinang” – a mix of “Tita/Ninang” meaning Aunt/Godmother), his very own rendition of “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” and the most meaningful, “I hear you,” a phrase he copied from my sister, who says it to validate whenever he’s crying or upset.
  4. People Returning – They know who they are, and I could not be more grateful for the deep love, care and experiences they’ve brought back to my everyday life.
  5. Old Friends and New Adventures – A toast to the lovely people that have been in my life even earlier than 2022 and stayed to make all new memories this year, from annual Secret Santa to helicopter rides to nights out.
  6. New Friends and New Adventures – A toast to the lovely people that entered my life more closely in 2022, immediately making unforgettable memories from Miami and Atlantic City vacations to late-night fast food trips and deep talks.
  7. A Still Evolving Wardrobe – I’ll never be fully satisfied with my style because it keeps changing, but 2022 seemed like another growth-filled year (or I really just learned to use basics).
  8. “2521” – The most beautiful Korean show to have ever been created (right after “Hometown Cha Cha Cha”), both in aesthetic and storyline, and that’s coming from an avid K-drama watcher. It lives rent-free in my mind, and I’ll never not be gutted rewatching any of its episodes. 
  9. Scholarship Opportunities – One of the biggest blessings is to be able to help with tuition in the slightest, which my supportive parents shoulder all the way for me. I, of course, appreciate the affirmation that I’m on the right track as a student journalist too :)
  10. Work Opportunities – Paterson Press, which showed me what it’s like to work as a news reporter outside of the classroom and also got me published on NorthJersey.com, and NJArts.net, which allowed me to enjoy a handful of live events.
  11. More Nightlife – I craved more of this in 2021, but 2022 did not hold back with a lot of nights spent getting dolled up to go out.
  12. More Writing Than I’ve Ever Done – From The Montclarion to Her Campus to the previously mentioned work opportunities, I’m so blessed to be published more than I ever have before.
  13. Safety & Physical Health – For both me and my loved ones. 
  14. Volleyball – An activity I’d been wanting to try for a while, and despite being out of my comfort zone, I did it! A lot of Fall 2022 semester plans revolved around this and created closer bonds. This sport will always hold a special place in my heart for that, and I’ll look back to it as inspiration to do all the other hobbies I keep talking about.
  15. Face Framing Layers – A lifesaver for a round-faced girly like me.
  16. Perfume – Versace Bright Crystal, Gucci Flora, Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream.
  17. KDogs, Sushi, Birria Tacos, Wawa’s Gobbler and Mac n’ Cheese with Tenders – I’d say “tasty food experiences” as an umbrella term, but these select options deserved a shoutout and are associated with memories that altered my brain chemistry. 
  18. Surviving (and Sometimes Thriving) Challenging Classes – @ Multimedia Storytelling, a course that brought the most tears but also the most growth as a student journalist. The real deal and not for the weak-hearted. A shoutout to the professor, though, who pushes students to their potential and helps along the way.
  19. My First Tattoo – “Whatever is pure, Whatever is lovely” (Philippians 4:8). Extra special because (one) I got it with my sister (two) it’s faith-related (three) it defied my fear of perfectionism and commitment. 
  20. Hot Girl Walks – These only lasted during the summer, but they did a lot for my mental health, and I plan to get back on them. Protip: listen to “The Way I Are” by Timbaland so you’re strutting.
  21. Warm, Sunny Days – This feels wrong to have on my list because I know it’s from global warming, but seasonal depression is super real!

The next one is so special it deserves its own little paragraph.

1. A Clearer Sense of Who I Want To Be 

2022 seemed like a tough year, but looking back and creating this list confirmed what I already knew: I’m an extremely blessed person with so much to be grateful for. Each and every one of these blessings has paved the way for where I find myself in 2023, both in who I already am and who I want to be by the end of the year. Cheers to 365 days of growth and more things to be thankful for :)

Megan Lim

Montclair '23

Megan is currently a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Work. Not only does she aspire to be the best writer she can possibly be, but she hopes to be the best version of herself there is at all! Whether that means getting good grades, helping those around her, getting involved, working out, or letting herself binge-watch movies - she wants to do it all. Anything that has to do with self-growth, she's doing it!