12 Women Get Real About Whether or Not They’re “With Her” or “Feeling the Bern”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

It’s no secret that the 2016 Presidential Election has been . . . interesting. Filled with everything from intense debate moments and the possibility of a contested GOP convention, to incidents involving birds, Sarah Palin and, yes, even dick jokes, we can definitely say we’ve never seen an election like this before.

Because of the chaos that seems to follow this election around like the plague, we decided to take to the streets and find out what millennial women have to think about the election and most importantly – the candidates. This week, we’re bringing you opinions on the Democratic candidates, but be sure to check our Republican article here!

So, were these women “With Her” or “Feelin’ the Bern?” Read on to find out!

“I’m with neither! To be honest, there’s no one I love, but as a republican I’d have to side with Ted Cruz. I think Hilary gives women a bad rap. Women are often perceived as liars and the e-mail scandal she’s having doesn’t help her case. As for Bernie, I’m financially conservative so his ideas of “free” worry me.” – Nicole, 22

“It all feels like a joke. But it’s not only because of them, I just feel people are so confused when it comes to this election. We have people feeding into racist notions, gossip and unimportant ideas. Like, we have people voting for Bernie because he wants to legalize marijuana, people not voting for Hilary because of “e-mails” and then people voting for Trump who represents nothing but greed and evilness. I’m personally feeling stuck between Hilary and Bernie. I’d would love to see if Bernie could turn his message of peace and equality into political victory, but I don’t know if he would be able to provide like she can.” – Sydney, 21

I think Hilary Clinton is blatantly ridiculous for a bunch of reasons, but long story short – I’m not a fan. I don’t think she’s good for this country.” – Brooke, 23

“I for one think this whole election is terrible, but Sanders is awesome. I love that he sees the less wealthy and the rich all as one and is trying to help out the less fortunate with everything from health care and education to immigration issues and taxes. Clinton on the other hand is just terrible. Clinton just talks out of her ass. – Brianna, 20

“I’m a registered independent but I lean more towards conservative. The problem I have with Bernie is his idea of “free” college. People aren’t realizing that people are going to have to pay for it somehow and his way of getting money, to me, is unreasonable. Hilary . . . well she’s all sorts of fucked up.” – Courtney, 19

“Throughout this entire circus of a presidential campaign, I’ve supported Bernie Sanders 100%. There’s so much hatred, separation and violence throughout the world and in our own country, but his campaign started a beautiful revolution to unite people of all creeds and races. To me, he’s the only candidate that exudes intelligence, honesty, compassion, empathy and love. There’s just no comparison. Bernie really does care about everyone as well as the environment. He’s going to make the necessary changes that are long overdue and take the power back from the Top 1%. I know he’ll be one of the best presidents we’ve ever seen!” – Deanna, 21

I think Sanders has good ideas but some of them are not realistically achievable. Things such as free college tuition sound great in theory but it’s a lot more difficult to achieve than he simply makes it out to be. Also, I don’t think that he could win a national election because he is too far to the left to get the moderate votes he would need to win.” – Allie, 19

“I’m ‘Feeling the Bern.’ I like Bernie’s ideas for America. The ones I especially like are his views for college. He thinks the first 2 years of college should be free and that you should only have to fill out a FAFSA one time, not every year. I would like to see Bernie as president rather then Hilary, but I’m for a democrat over any republican.” – Alayna, 19

“I come from a conservative family but as an independent, I don’t really go either way. I feel that in this election, millennials are being brainwashed. There’s this obsession with Bernie and the idea of “free” school, but people aren’t looking into what the consequences of free college are. But I will say that after Benghazi, I’m definitely against Hilary. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for a female president, I just don’t feel America is ready for one and I don’t think Hilary is the right woman.” – Alex, 23

“I want Bernie to win. He represents the people and what the people want in a diplomatic way. I feel he genuinely wants to help make a difference in the lives of both the young and the old. When it comes to Hilary, I don’t trust her. What happened with her e-mail scandal was serious and if it were anyone else, they would’ve gone to jail. If Martha Stewart can go to jail for insider trading, Hilary should go for breaching the security of confidential information as Secretary of State! I don’t want someone who is corrupt being my president. – Samantha, 20

Both Hilary Clinton and Bernie Sanders are manipulating their platforms to appeal to the general audience. However, I think Hilary is essentially still receiving hate because of the email scandal and she overall has more attention because of her husband as well. I’ve also noticed that Bernie Sanders is appealing to a younger audience. In recent weeks, I have seen countless rallies and marches with a lot of young people who are ‘Feeling the Bern.’ I am not in favor of one over the other just yet; as the debates continue it’ll be interesting to see how my perspective will change.” Kim, 20

“I think all the candidates – on both sides – suck. We’re all screwed no matter who wins.” – Jessica, 22
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.