10 Songs to Get You Excited About the New Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

Even the peppiest collegiette occasionally needs some help mustering up enough energy to get excited for another semester of hard work. Luckily, music is an awesome gateway to your emotions! Here are some of our top picks to get you excited for the upcoming months!

Can’t Stop the Feeling – Justin Timberlake

While the start of a new semester can be stressful, “Can’t Stop the Feeling” will help take your mind off of things and put a smile on your face! This song is perfect for when you need to be reminded to relax, have fun and be happy. Instead of stressing about the little things (like that group project you were assigned on the first day back), remember to enjoy the little pleasures in life, like having “sunshine in [your] pocket, or a good song in [your] feet.”

Stronger (What Doesn’t Kill You) – Kelly Clarkson

So you signed up for an 8:00 am class and now you regret that decision every time your alarm clock goes off. It’s okay, we’ve all been there! While you’re waiting for your morning coffee to brew (or for the barista to hand it over the counter), let this song remind you that you can overcome anything and everything that life throws your way!

Beautiful Day – U2

Hopefully, your first few days back went well – you didn’t accidently end up in the wrong class, your professors seem really nice and pretty reasonable and you became instant friends with the person you sat next to! Well, even if your semester isn’t starting out so great, listen to “Beautiful Day” to remind yourself that every day is a miracle (even if it sometimes takes a miracle to get through them!)

Work from Home – Fifth Harmony

When the workload starts to drag you down and you start daydreaming about staying in bed and doing anything – anything – else but listen to your professor lecture for what seems like forever, this power girl anthem helps reinvigorate you with a sassy attitude and #girlboss feelings.

Move – Luke Bryan

The start of the semester means parties, friends and a lot of fun! For most of us, it also means an excuse to dress up and catch a special someone’s attention. Luke Bryan has captured our fantasies exactly with this party tune that reminds you to let loose once in a while and enjoy all that university life has to offer (responsibly, of course).

Stressed Out – Twenty One Pilots

We’ve all been there: wanting to turn back time to the days where everything was simpler and easier – even if it’s only back to last weekend. Twenty One Pilots perfectly captures the stresses of adulthood that every collegiette will inevitably face while reminding you that you’ve worked hard to get where you are now. Keep that in mind as the workload for this semester starts to pick up.

Closer – The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey

“Closer” tells a story about getting lost in the moment. It reminds you to take a step back and enjoy every single day because they always pass too quickly! Play this tune when you need to be reminded of the simplicity of the small pleasures in life. It’s moments like this that change us, define us and stick with us for the rest of our lives. Long after you’ve graduated you will look back at those moments with fond remembrance. Enjoy them while you can!  

Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and The Waves

This classic is bound to put a smile on your face, even in the darkest of times! It’s perfect for early morning wake up times, late night study breaks and everything else in between. “Walking on Sunshine” is a reminder that you should always make time to relax, let loose and take it all in.

Kinda Don’t Care – Justin Moore

College is hard! Sometimes the classes, meetings, extracurricular activities and jobs can be a lot to handle, especially in the beginning of a new semester when you have to learn how to fit it all into your schedule again. Instead of losing your cool, remember to relax and not stress the little things. “Kinda Don’t Care” is about letting yourself go and indulging in the things that make you happy!

You Make My Dreams Come True – Hall & Oates

Though you might have a love-hate relationship with the semester now, remember that in the end you are working towards making your dreams come true! It’s stressful and hard at times, but in the end all the struggles add up to a great accomplishment! If you ever need to be reminded of that, pull this song out to remind yourself that you are closer than ever before!

Now go forth, collegiette’s, and conquer this semester!

Photo Souce: 1

Victoria Testa (or, as she likes to be called, Tori) is a Senior English major and Journalism minor at Montclair State University. She is currently in the process of applying to graduate school at MSU to pursue a higher degree in Education/The Art of Teaching. She is an outdoorsy, outgoing, friendly face on campus who is most often found with a cup of coffee and Netflix on.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.