This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’re a complete sucker for rom-com movies, especially during Valentine’s Day. After a romantic dinner with your significant other or spending the day alone, it’s nice to unwind watching one of these romantic movies. Even if you’re not in a relationship, it’s nice to watch these movies and see all of the different stories. Whether you’re more into sappy rom-coms or the happier ones, there’s a wide variety of movies to choose from in this genre.

For those of you searching for movies to get you in the Valentine’s Day mood, I put together a list of some of my favorite romantic comedies for you to watch this February.

1. Valentine’s Day (2010)

The title pretty much gives it away, but this movie follows numerous different people and their Valentine’s Day stories. Many of their stories intertwine, making it a fun and interesting movie to watch. This movie shows the highs and romantic parts of the holiday but also shows some more realistic lows that people experience on this day. Starring Jennifer Garner, Ashton Kutcher, Patrick Dempsey, Taylor Swift and many others, this movie is definitely one to watch this Valentine’s Day.

1. 50 First Dates (2004)

This romantic comedy is one of my favorites. Drew Barrymore portrays a character, Lucy, who lost her memory and relives the same day. When Henry (Adam Sandler) comes along, he tries his hardest to get Lucy to fall in love with him by taking her out on a date everyday. Everyone on the island is very protective of Lucy, especially her family, so Henry needs to prove to them that he’s being serious. This movie has a lot of ups and downs, but it’s definitely one worth watching.

1. Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

“Crazy, Stupid, Love” is another great Valentine’s Day movie pick. Cal (Steve Carrell) and Emily (Julianne Moore) seem to have the perfect marriage. Cal seems very happy and content in the relationship until the day Emily reveals she’s been having an affair and wants a divorce. Cal’s over 40 years old and has no idea if he’ll ever find love again until he teams up with a player, Jacob (Ryan Gosling), who helps him try to find a new romance.

1. Love, Simon (2018)

“Love, Simon” is a beautiful, up-to-date romantic comedy. Simon (Nick Robinson) wants to have a great love story just like everyone else. However, he hasn’t told anyone he’s gay. He also doesn’t know the identity of the person he’s been talking to online. This movie follows Simon trying to come to terms with his sexuality and reveal it to the world. It’s definitely one of those movies you won’t be able to stop watching when you start.

1. The Notebook (2004)

“The Notebook” is one of the most popular and timeless romantic comedies of all time. This movie is set in the 1940s, following the love story of Noah (Ryan Gosling) and Allie (Rachel McCadams). Noah and Allie have a superior high school romance, but when Allie’s parents don’t approve of their relationship, they have to part ways. When Noah leaves to fight in the war, Allie begins a new relationship with someone else. A few years later, Noah returns to town and has to fight to get his relationship back. If you’ve never watched “The Notebook” before, you definitely need to!

1. He’s Just Not That Into You (2009)

“He’s Just Not That Into You” is another romantic comedy that follows the lives of several characters. Beth (Jennifer Anniston), Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Mary (Drew Barrymore) all struggle in their relationships, whether it’s commitment, waiting by the phone for him to call or finding a lover. Based on the novel “He’s Just Not That Into You,” this movie is the guide for women struggling to find love and wondering why he never reaches out.

1. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (2009)

“Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” follows a celebrity photographer, Connor (Matthew McConaughey), who’s against relationships and spends his love life with many women, never settling down. One night, before his brother’s wedding, he receives a visit from an ex-girlfriend who passed away when they were both younger. She takes him through his many failed relationships, all showing him what he’s done wrong and why he’s never been able to have a serious relationship.

1. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

“13 Going on 30” starts with Jenna (Christa B. Allen) at her 13th birthday party that goes wrong and ends with her in the closet wishing she was 30 already. When she wakes up, she’s now a 30 year old (Jennifer Garner) who has a great adulthood life. She realizes everything she’s ever wished for is nothing like she wanted and tries to get back to her 13 year old self.

1. Crazy Rich Asians (2019)

“Crazy Rich Asians” is another one of my ultimate favorites! This romantic comedy follows couple Rachel (Constance Wu) and Nick (Henry Golding) on a trip to Singapore for Nick’s best friend’s wedding. On the trip, Rachel discovers Nick’s family is nothing like she ever expected; he’s very wealthy and pretty well-known. Rachel has to deal with a lot more obstacles than she thought, including his mother.

1. Something Borrowed (2011)

Last but not least, “Something Borrowed” follows the lives of best friends Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Darcy (Kate Hudson). Darcy has always been more outgoing and fun than Rachel, while Rachel is more quiet and reserved. One night, Rachel finds herself in bed with Darcy’s fiance, Dex, and this brings a lot of complications. While trying to hide this secret, Rachel tries to help Darcy plan her wedding and make sure she never finds out.

No matter what you decide to watch this Valentine’s Day, you definitely won’t be disappointed by anything on this list.

Emily Spillar

Montclair '25

Emily is a Junior, Communication & Media Studies major at Montclair State University. She loves all things fashion and beauty, while also finding new experiences.