10 Cheap (But Awesome) Trips to Take In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montclair chapter.

College is one of the greatest times for you to travel, but it can be difficult when you’re on a budget. Luckily, the world is full of amazing destinations that are a lot cheaper than you’d think! We’ve put together a list of 10 places that are perfect for traveling during college, so you can go ahead and start exploring!

Iceland

Despite its name, Iceland isn’t just made up of glaciers. Its landscapes are also distinguished by its many wonders, including volcanic peaks, lava deserts, geysers and hot springs! Whether you’re into hiking in Laugavegur, whale watching in Husavik, seeing Europe’s biggest waterfall in Gullfoss, relaxing in a hot spring or you just want to explore a beautiful landscape, Iceland is the place to be! And the best part? No bugs or wild animals to worry about!

Vietnam

Vietnam has tons of exciting places to explore! If you love learning about different cultures, Ho Chi Minh city is where you can experience great Vietnamese food, art and different sites! And if you’re looking to get a little more adventurous, Vietnam is home to Halong Bay, in which you can explore beautiful grottoes and caves, go kayaking, or even go on a cruise around the bay!

Slovakia

The beautiful country of Slovakia has graced the world for centuries with its wondrous mountain ranges – perfect for hiking in the summer and skiing in the winter – and splendid medieval architecture. And if you need a break from all your adventures, there are plenty of hot springs to stop by for a relaxing afternoon! When looking to explore something magnificent while immersing yourself in a fascinating culture, Slovakia is a great place to start!

Czech Republic

If you’re in Slovakia, you might as well take the time to head over to its neighbor, the Czech Republic! Alongside a vibrant culture, the Czech Republic is home to one of the world’s largest castles, beautiful Gothic cathedrals, a baroque fortress dating back to WWII, vast vineyards and huge mountains just waiting to be explored! If you’re looking to experience Eastern Europe’s history at its finest, Czech Republic is where it’s at!

Bonus: If you’d also like to have a religious experience, Mount Tabor is where the transfiguration of Christ supposedly took place!

Croatia

Lying alongside the Adriatic sea, Croatia is full of medieval cities, picturesque Mediterranean islands and is even home to Diocletian’s palace! Its coastal cities such as Dubrovnik and Split are perfect for going sailing and meandering the cobblestone streets as you absorb the nation’s vast culture. You can also get a breath of fresh air in one of its eight national parks, or immerse yourself in history among the ruins of the capital, Zagreb!

Hungary

The most obvious destination in Hungary is Budapest, known for its beautiful streets lined with medieval castles and Roman ruins. But there’s so much more to do here! While Budapest should definitely be your first stop, also consider Gyor for its food, shopping, and rich nightlife, the amazing cave bath in Miskolc, Kecskemet’s music scene and Art Nouveau architecture, or even the Hortobagy Puszta to experience the country’s most famous landscape for yourself!

Greece

There are so many things to do in Greece, it’s hard to know where to start! But if you need a break from visiting all those ruins, there are several really neat options for you! You can climb Mount Olympus, hit the clubs in Athens or any of the Party Islands. Visit the most famous monasteries in Meteora and on Mount Athos, go sailing and enjoy one of Greece’s many beaches!

Turkey

Turkey is another country just packed with rich history. Istanbul, the largest city, is also the cultural center of the country, featuring the Hagia Sophia (a former mosque), The Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace and you can even experience a Turkish bath (basically a spa treatment)! But aside from Istanbul, you can visit Cappadocia to see its beautiful landscapes and take a hot air balloon ride, the ancient ruins of Pergamon and Bergama, and attempt to climb Mount Ararat to experience Turkey’s rich culture and history!

Russia

You could easily spend weeks exploring each of Russia’s cities, but there are a few places that should be at the top of your list! Moscow features its Moscow Metro (which doubles as a museum), a 16th-century convent and St. Basil’s Cathedral and flea market. St. Petersburg offers the Hermitage museum – one of the world’s oldest and most famous museums – along with its gorgeous architecture! And then there’s Sochi, a Black Sea resort for all your relaxation needs!

Costa Rica

Costa Rica is obviously a great destination for its beautiful beaches, but there’s so much more to do there! One of the best destinations is the Arenal Volcano and nearby rainforest, where you can go hiking, zip lining, whitewater rafting and even take a dip in one of its hot springs! You can also visit one of Costa Rica’s many national parks, which feature several activities such as swimming with sea creatures, jungle tours, wildlife watching and more!

Source: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Marietta, a junior at Montclair State University, is an Art History major with the goal of becoming a collections and exhibitions expert at a major museum. In addition to her studies, she hopes to travel the world, writing about her boundless adventures. When she's not planning her next trip, you can usually find her reading about art, baking, doing yoga, or listening to music.
Sarah Vazquez is a senior at Montclair State University, majoring in English and minoring in Journalism. She is the current Editor-in-Chief and a Co-Campus Correspondent at Her Campus Montclair. She is an avid concert-goer, podcast junkie, X-Files fanatic and someone who always has her nose buried deep inside a book.