This is the time to volunteer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.
Why Volunteer?

You’re a busy college girl. With the full class loads, jobs, internships, and homework, life can quickly become overwhelming. With all of these obligations and such a hectic schedule, why would you even consider volunteering? It’s unpaid. Thankless. Boring! You have better things to do with your time. Not so fast, ladies!

Volunteering can be a fantastic experience. Here’s why YOU should consider volunteering:

Volunteering can be an educational experience.
There are numerous places to volunteer here in Missoula. With such a variety of non-profit organizations, the places that need your help are endless. Choose a place that you find interesting and relatable to your career goals. Internships and jobs can be competitive, but volunteering is an opportunity open to all. You can gain valuable knowledge about a workplace, and if you form good relationships with supervisors, they will likely be willing to write you excellent letters of recommendation for graduate school or jobs after graduation.

Volunteers are appreciated.
Sure, some organizations that have volunteers are unorganized and provide little incentive. Tasks can be mundane and expectations may be unrealistic. However, there are many organizations that are dependent on volunteers. These places are often highly organized and flexible. They will invest their time in making sure volunteers gain experience they value, and provide you with opportunities to make connections in the working world.

You will meet new, interesting people.
Volunteering isn’t like working. It’s often laid back and stress free. Workers aren’t on the clock. Most people are there because they want to be there. They either believe in the cause of the volunteering or they are looking to meet people, or often times they have an interest in both. You will meet people who have similar interests and you will develop a new network in your social life.

Volunteering feels good!
There are so many great organizations working hard to make the world you live in a better place. Join one of these causes by volunteering for the one(s) you believe in! Plus, if you are intrinsically motivated to join a cause, all of the other incentives will simply be added bonuses.

If you are considering volunteering, even slightly considering it, I encourage you to talk to someone or do some research on your own. Talk to a professor, a coworker, or a peer about it. Browse some non-profits or other organizations online. Check out the University of Montana’s Office for Civic Engagement. Lastly, consider these places to volunteer:

Big Brothers Big Sisters
Families First
The Western Montana Community Center
Missoula Aids Council
Women’s Opportunity and Resource Development
Blue Mountain Clinic
Flagship
YMCA
YWCA
Her Campus (write a blog like this one!)
Find many more on the student jobs website, just select volunteer!

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.