Spring Into Running: Tips and Missoula Race Schedules

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Spring is here. And you know what that means… Time to pull out the running shoes! Running is one of the easiest ways to get in shape. Plus, it doesn’t cost very little to do. Lucky for us, Missoula offers a lot for runners, from classes to social runs to races. If you need motivation to get out there, don’t worry, it’s out there.

Run Wild Missoula is probably the most well known running club in Missoula. A membership is 25 dollars for an individual. With the membership, you get to participate in training runs, discounts at certain stores, and reduced entry fees for races and training sessions. They have things like Beer Runs that visit certain breweries and breakfast club runs. This is a good way to make running a social thing.

The Missoula offers a lot of races. Races serve as good goals to motivate a consistent running schedule. It gives you something to look forward to, something to push for. Also, a lot of races in Missoula donate proceeds to different charities. So it’s great way to give back.

In the next month or so, these are some of the races in the area:
·       March 26th, Run 4 a Wish, 5k
·       April 2nd, Run for the Trees, 5k and 1 mile fun run
·       April 16th, 5th Annual  Bust-a-Gut, 5k
·       April 16th, Superfun(d) Run, 5k and 10k
·       April 30th, Riverbank Run, 5k and 10k
·       May 1st, Bloomsday in Spokane

For more information about races in the area, you can go to runmt.com. These are just a few. There is a lot to choose from.

Running can be a hard thing to get into. It takes a little while to get into the swing of it. Here are some tips to stick with it:

1.     Stretch after. Stretching before isn’t super important, but make sure you cool down and stretch your muscles after. This will prevent a lot of achiness that will make you want to stay at home.
2.     Create an amazing playlist on your iPod that will keep your energy level high.
3.     Change up your course. Make sure you don’t get bored.
4.     Keep yourself healthy. Getting sick is a quick way to fall off course.
5.     Recruit a friend to run with you. Make it social.
6.     Invest in the right shoes. It really makes a different. Research what will work the best for you.
7.     Run for fun. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Run for you.

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.
Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.