Spring has Sprung… or not

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Each year Americans gather around a groundhog and predict the upcoming weather. This year, the groundhog did not see his shadow, so spring must be near.

The Groundhog Day tradition may seem strange to foreigners, but to Americans, it’s something we’ve embraced for over 100 years. On Feb. 2, people head to Gobbler’s Knob, near Punxsutawney, Penn. to gather around Punxsutawney Phil (the groundhog) and have their near-futures told. It sounds silly, but we swear it’s normal.

So how do we know if spring is here? According to the Wall Street Journal, the Staten Island Zoo keeps track of the temperature for the next two months and if there are more days with a temperature of 40 degrees or above than there are 39 degrees and below, it’s an early spring.

While the zoo in New York has very little—actually, nothing—to do with the upcoming weather in Montana, you can have hope. Despite the chilly temperatures outside, the Weather Channel tells us that for the next ten days things are looking warmer: up to 40 degrees on Friday.

Want to know more about Groundhog Day? Check it out here.

Break out your sunglasses and get ready for spring!

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.