Music Blog: Zoo City Apparel to Host Spring Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

Founded in Missoula in 2006, Zoo City Apparel began, and continues, to provide the city with fashionable and well-liked screen-printing designs. Not only does the store offer a good deal of printing options, they, also, host art and music events.

Coming to Missoula Tuesday, April 19th, will be a wide range of bands entering Zoo City’s walls, with event headliner Dark Dark Dark.

Dark Dark Dark; it all begins with an accordion and a banjo. The music of the group, based in Minneapolis, is something of beauty, offering a daydream illusion of instrumental blend. The quintet is relaxing, contemporary, emotional, and, at times, a bit of folk. Sounds can be traced to the old-timey, tap-dancing, genres, while, at the same time, subtle, soft, and sweet.

Joining Dark Dark Dark will be New Orleans’ Why Are We Building Such A Big Ship? Think by-water big band meets folk meets jazz. Also sporting a catchy accordion, member Walt McClements (part of both Ship and Dark) is joined by, at times, up to ten fellow members or, possibly, six at the smallest. It has been described as New Orleans funeral jazz, a drunken cabaret, or feeling something like walking the decks of a pirate ship beneath a gloomy sky. It forces us to tap our feet. It forces us to think.

Locals Keys Knees, Fiancée, and Buffler will join the two traveling bands. Keys Knees duo Cassandra Rabe and Mikki Lunda, take two accordions alongside a drum machine to draw the crowd in with melodic beats and a lovely combination of rhythm. Fiancée, having been on hiatus for, give or take, six months, return to the Missoula public with their catchy rock and roll vibes. More mysterious, then, serves to be the local band Buffler. Never heard em…never heard of em…but as a member of this line-up they’re bound to have something special to offer folks in Zoo City come Tuesday night.

Tickets for the night are available now at both Ear Candy Music and Zoo City Apparel for $7.
Located at 139 East Main Street in downtown Missoula, the show takes place the night of April 19th, music beginning at 8, doors opening at 7:30.

More information about the event and bands.

Campus Correspondant- My Campus Montana, colettemaddock@hercampus.com Colette Maddock is a senior at the University of Montana (class of 2011). She is a print Journalism major and a Women's Studies minor from Whitefish, Montana. This summer she interned at Skiing Magazine. She is passionate about winter sports, and loves skiing and figure skating. In her spare time she reads tons of books, tries to cook, and spends time with her friends.