The Luck of the Irish Takes Montana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Montana chapter.

The Big Sky holds host to some of the richest culture in the country. These culture experiences can be found in the form of multiple festivals. Included in these festivals are three of the biggest Irish gatherings in the Big Sky.

The final weekend in July holds host to the Missoula Celtic Festival. Location in Caras Park visitors can enjoy a variety of food and Celtic themed vendors while enjoying entertainment by the Missoula Irish Dancers and the Missoula Celtic Dragon Pipe band, as well as various other performers that differ from year to year.

Mid-August is a wonderful time to take a short drive to Butte Montana for the annual An Rí Rá Irish Festival. This street festival can be found just outside Cavanagh’s Celtic Country Store in Historic Uptown Butte. Both food and vendors are a great way to experience this summer festival. Performances by the Butte Tiernan Irish Dancers and the Trinity Irish Dancers based out of Chicago are great entertainment for kids. Bands such as Dublin Gulch and the Cathy Ryan band play well into the night for those wanting to stay out a little longer as well as other bands that differ from year to year.

Towards the end of August holds the Bitterroot Scottish/Irish Festival, held on the historic grounds of the Daly Mansion in Hamilton Montana. This festival includes both Scottish and Irish dancing as well as competitions, pipe band competitions and traditional Highland Games. Vendors and food are available for all and for those who wish to do a little research can find information on their family at their Clan tent, people are available to help with looking up your family name if you want.

These three festivals are a great way to have fun over the summer, even if you’re not “really” Irish or Scottish. And any one of these festivals you can check out the Friends of Irish Studies booth, a program out of the University of Montana. These three festivals hold a huge amount of culture that anyone can enjoy, and given the chance should check out at least once.

(Dates for the Summer 2012 Festivals can be found online through the Montana Gaelic Cultural Society and the Bitterroot Scottish/Irish Festival)

Alyse is a senior at the University of Montana with a journalism major. She was born and raised in the small town of Dillon, Montana. When not busy with school, Alyse likes to enjoy the beautiful mountains of Montana. In addition to volunteering with Her Campus, Alyse also volunteers at the YWCA by leading support groups for domestic violence and sexual assualt survivors. After graduation, Alyse wants to explore the field of journalism in a warm and sunny climate.