Why Wham!’s “Last Christmas” Is the Best Christmas Song

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Finally, it’s the holiday season! After such a strange year, this is the only thing that is lifting my mood. There is so much to look forward to and so much to do to get into the holiday spirit. From holiday movies, decorating, and baking delicious treats, the possibilities are endless.

One traditional way to get into the spirit is through music! Holiday classics take over the radio starting mid-November through the beginning of the new year. Also, your favorite music streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, and Amazon Music) have an endless supply of holiday singles, albums, and playlists in their libraries.

There are plenty of great holiday songs, but the one that reigns supreme is Wham!’s 1984 instant hit “Last Christmas.”

I may be biased since this is my absolute favorite Christmas song, but I think this is one of the greatest songs of all time.

The song was written by Wham! member George Michael, in his childhood bedroom in record time. The fact that an actual member of the group wrote the song is incredible because that rarely happens anymore – most singers bring in professional songwriters to write their music for them. Also, he was 21 years old when he wrote this timeless classic – talk about talent!

While the song is considered a Christmas song, it is distant from the Christmas theme. The song tells the story of an unsuccessful relationship and the gloom generated by the holiday season. Rather than telling, the song illustrates the story of this previous relationship coming back to them a year later.

Over the years, the song has been covered by several artists, including Taylor Swift, Jimmy Eat World, and Ariana Grande. It seems “Last Christmas” holds a special place in their hearts as well.

One of the most iconic reasons “Last Christmas” is the best Christmas song? It was turned into a movie! An actual, feature-length film. Insane.

The film Last Christmas was released in November of 2019, right at the start of the holiday season. The film stars Emilia Clarke, Henry Golding, Michelle Yeoh, and Emma Thompson, who actually co-wrote the film. I saw this movie in the theater – what an emotional rollercoaster. Even more iconic? There’s a cameo from Andrew Ridgeley at the end of the film!

I could boast about this song for longer, but I think these reasons are enough to persuade you on changing your favorite holiday song. I mean, come on, George Michael’s voice is stunning!

Although the song has never hit #1 on the charts, its legacy still lives on as one of the greatest holiday songs ever.

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!