This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

If you don’t know what ghosting is, it basically just cutting off all communication with someone without giving a reason why, especially in the dating realm. Not only do I think this is not nice, but it also just shows a lack of maturity that you cannot communicate how you are feeling about someone to their face.

I have been ghosted more times that I will say and the two times I have ghosted someone have come back to bite me. Communication is big for me; I love to talk, and I am not afraid of expressing how I feel to someone. I love emotions and those heavy conversations so when I am not feeling something anymore with someone, I communicate that. I don’t just cut them off. I did twice, like I said and have learned from that, and boy karma is real in that aspect.

I think it is childish and an easy way out instead of just expressing how you are feeling at that time. This is not the way to have any type of relationship and if your first instinct is just ghost, then you might not be ready to have a real relationship as things will get hard and tough at times, and you can’t just duck out.

Ghosting needs to be ghosted. It is not the way to communicate and although it is a form of communication because it is obvious they aren’t interested anymore, that other person is owed an explanation at times, otherwise they are always going to wonder. Now obviously this not apply to all situations, but being able to communicate is something I look for when talking or seeing what is out there, and if that person can’t do it, I know it is just going to end badly for me.

Sarah Elizabeth

Monmouth '21

Sarah is currently a senior history/political science secondary education major with a minor in sociology. Her biggest dream in life is to be a middle or high school history teacher or to open up her own coffee shop. She loves dogs, strawberries, hiking and green tea.