Style > Beauty

Which Eyelash Option Is Right For You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

If you’re like me, then you barely wear any makeup. Personally, I think too much makeup does the opposite effect of enhancing your beauty. My typical beauty routine in the morning is as follows: moisturize, conceal under my eyes, bronze a bit, and then I focus all my attention on my naturally long eyelashes. To me, if your eyelashes are done then you always look done-up, which is why I know so much (maybe too much) on the topic of eyelashes.

Throughout the last couple of years I have tried Eyelash Extensions, Eyelash Lifts, Falsies, and of course, just mascara. Each one of these options have pros and cons to them,  but I am here to help you find the right fit for you!

*Before we discuss your options, I HIGHLY recommend using Babe Lash Eyelash Serum twice a day to help boost your eyelashes length and volume-trust me it works*

Option 1: Keep it old school and use mascara

Some of my favorite Mascara brands are Benefit, L’Oreal, Kiko, and Tarte. However, I can never find a mascara that achieves a perfect look for me so I find myself piling on and mixing numerous different mascaras to try to achieve the look that I want. In the end, I end up making my eyelashes look very clumpy and thick, which is not a good look for me. In addition, I find that when I wear a lot of mascara, I tend to accidentally pull my lashes out when I take my makeup off at night. On the other hand, mascara is a great option for you if you do not want to use anything that is semi-permanent.

Option 2: Falsies

If you don’t want to sculpt your own eyelashes everyday and deal with taking it off every night, and also do not want to use anything too harsh, then False Eyelashes would be a great fit. There are two options for Falsies: Synthetic and Animal Hair such as Mink.

Synthetic eyelashes can range from $4.00 to around $25.00 for a pair. If you get a pair of synthetic eyelashes, they will last anywhere between 3-8 uses if you take care of them properly. In order to get the maximum use out of them while still making sure your eyes are safe you must pull them off gently, never wear mascara over them, soak them in a cleaning solution, and store them properly.

Mink eyelashes on the other hand, range from about $30.00-$200.00 depending on the brand. Animal hair lashes last a bit longer because they are durable and they look more natural since they are real hair. If you choose to go with the animal hair lashes then you must remember to take really good care of them in order to use them to their maximum potential.

Falsies are easy to put on and easy to take off with minimal damage to your real lashes. If you are looking for an easy way to glam yourself up, especially for special events, falsies are the best option for you!

Option 3: Eyelash Lift

Personally, I just got an eyelash lift done. It takes about 35 minutes and around 45 minutes if you add an eyelash tint to it. If your lashes are short, stick straight down, and cover your eyes, then this may be the best option for you. If you get an eyelash lift, you no longer have to curl your lashes everyday before you use mascara; this does it for you. A lash lift is basically a perm for your lashes.

First, they glue your eyelashes to a silicone shield, then they apply the perming lotion for about 15 minutes. Next, they put a different solution on your eyelashes to ensure the perm. Lastly, if you opt for a tint, they add a special dye to your lashes to enhance their color. This process lasts about 6-8 weeks depending on the person. If you are looking for something to just curl your natural lashes that is extremely low maintenance, then you have finally found the option for you. With the last lift you can either go all natural or you can add mascara for an extra pop!

Option 4: Eyelash Extensions

The last option is eyelash extensions. Personally, this is my favorite go-to when I want to do something special to my lashes. I typically keep up with my extensions from May-September because during the summer, I wear close to zero makeup and they are amazing for vacation. Eyelash extensions last through a full growth cycle of natural eyelashes, typically 6 to 8 weeks. However, I suggest light maintenance every 3 to 4 weeks to maintain a full look.

A full set usually takes about an hour to complete and fill-ins are usually around 35-40 minutes depending on how many are missing. With extensions, you can’t wear mascara and I find that a set lasts longer if you do not touch them frequently or use makeup remover wipes around your eyes.The downfall to this option is that if you are hard on your lashes you may be at risk of damaging them.

With all this being said, I hope you found the right fit to brighten up your eyes and make your beauty routine a bit easier, especially on those early Monday mornings!

Victoria DeFilippo is a senior at Monmouth University where she is majoring in Public Relations and Journalism and minoring in Marketing. She is a New Yorker that loves shopping, really good food, and traveling the world!