This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I’ll admit it. I have terrible music taste. I joke and say I only listen to One Direction and country music, which is true, 94.7 is my BFF if I don’t feel like finding a song on Spotify. And we all love One Direction don’t even try me. But my best friend from home always plays the music in the car and so do most of my other friends now that I think about it.

When doing icebreakers and the question is what your favorite artist or song is, panic comes to my head because I cannot say either of the music tastes I have. I know music is super important to a lot of people and I love that for them. Music is an escape by far, and I love a good jam out session in the car, but I never saw it as that exciting.

My parents aren’t super into music either and growing up we just listened to whatever was on the radio. My first concert was the Jonas Brothers when I was 9 and I’ve gone to a few after that like One Direction, Ed Sheeran, and Maroon 5. When my brother started getting into music when he was 14, my music taste started to change too. He would listen to all of these 70’s and 80’s bands and artists and I loved it. I even got to see his idol, Billy Joel in concert with my whole family which was by far the best concert I have ever seen.

I started listening to Queen, Elton John, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen and others and loved it. Since living with one of my housemates, I have been introduced to more music as well. I don’t know the genre, maybe Indie Pop, but whatever it is, it is great. Bands like NEEDTOBREATHE and Picture This have become my new faves.

Playlists are a different story. For whatever reason I cannot sit down and make a playlist at all. It causes me too much stress. My only playlist is my Liked Songs on Spotify, so I don’t forget. I am very much into Broadway and musicals as well, and I thought that could be a good playlist to start off with, but I still haven’t done it.  My favorite feature on Spotify is after searching one song, and you don’t have one queued, it plays songs that relate to that one song, so I find even more music I love. I literally listened to the “radio” of this one song on my hour and half drive home.

I like having no music taste. I am not not into music, I just don’t fit into one specific genre which I think is exciting. I allow myself to be open to more songs and artists and I find new songs that I love that I never thought I would.

Sarah Elizabeth

Monmouth '21

Sarah is currently a senior history/political science secondary education major with a minor in sociology. Her biggest dream in life is to be a middle or high school history teacher or to open up her own coffee shop. She loves dogs, strawberries, hiking and green tea.