body images 2019 12 07 anne preble SAPvKo12dQE unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 12 07 anne preble SAPvKo12dQE unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for Switching to the Vegetarian Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Eating meat provides people with proteins that are vital to their health, wellness and energy. However, since I switched to a plant based diet over a year ago, I have found that all of these proteins are still accessible to me, but in different variations. There were many reasons I made the switch. My main concern was, of course, for the wellbeing of all animals, including cows, chickens, and pigs. I believe in humility for all forms of life, even ones that aren’t considered in mainstream society. Another reason is simply due to the fact that we, as humans, do not know what chemicals and other harmful substances are present in the meat we consume daily. Artificial ingredients, synthetics, hormones and preservatives are present in whatever we eat, but the thought of it being in meat kinda scares me! I prefer not to put that in my body, and you should too! Eating meat contributes to the carbon footprint you leave on this earth as well. Did you know that the livestock industry uses at least 1,799 gallons of water to produce only one pound of beef? Also, the most mind boggling fact that encouraged me to make the switch was that all of the feed given to livestock at meat farms can end world hunger at least twice? Lastly, eating meat contributes to long term detrimental effects, such as high cholesterol, osteosclerosis, and more. With the pandemic and multiple other possible diseases in the air today, I do not want more added risks in my future, especially one that I can personally control by a restricted diet. Of course, there are other diets to minimize your risks, and improve your overall health, but with a little compassion for our furry friends out there, why not make the switch to being a vegetarian? Here are some of my tips that helped me the most when I decided to change my diet for the greater good.

1. Write a pro’s and con’s list It makes it much easier to switch to a plant based diet when you know all of the benefits and detriments of it. Keeping a list, either mental or on paper, of all the reasons you want to change your diet is handy to refer to when you feel yourself giving up, or caving in.

2. Find some people that also believe in the cause. Becoming vegetarian, I was of course influenced by my environment. Being open with my family and close friends about my passion for a plant based diet really helped in my transition to the vegetarian lifestyle. I even joined a club at my school that is all about the plant based life! This helped me so much because I found people who were passionate about the same thing as me, and it even taught me more than I knew about the benefits of it.

3. Go slow and take your time Yes, quitting meat cold turkey is a possibility, but it does not work for all. For me personally, I started out by cutting off all red meat. I then just ate white meat such as chicken and turkey, slowly curing it down to twice a week, and then once a week, and then maybe once a month.

4. Look up some meal ideas ahead of time! Thinking about what you are going to eat next is a huge factor in changing your diet. For me, one of my go to tips for new vegetarians is to plan meals ahead of time. A great idea too is that if you are going to a restaurant, look up the menu online ahead of time and search for the best vegetarian option!

5. Be patient with yourself and trust the process Although it isn’t easy, remember that taking your time and being patient is the best way to change your lifestyle. Don’t be so hard on yourself in the beginning, and always remember the initial cause and the rewards of being a vegetarian!