Student Teaching During a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I have waited 3.5 years to enter the most stressful but exciting semester of my college experience. As an education major, we all look forward to that semester of student teaching. Being able to show off all of your learning and hard work from the past years and be able to lead a classroom. I have been waiting for this semester ever since I wanted to become a teacher and I can’t help but feel disappointed in how it is shaping out.     

I was able to teach two lessons last semester that changed my mindset on my ability to be a teacher. It helped me to realize I can do this. But ever since the pandemic started, I was holding out hope for January of 2021 so my student teaching could be as normal as possible. Sadly, that is not the case as I am still virtual. Even though the circumstances are not what I want, I am determined to make this the best experience for myself in preparation for being the best teacher I can be next year when I have my own classroom.

I don’t know what the next 14 weeks have in store for me, although I know it will be a lot of learning, growing and stress, I am ready to take on this semester in the best way possible. I am excited for the lessons I am going to teach, for passing edTPA (hopefully), and for making connections with my students and my teacher. Even though I have been in the classroom since September, I have never met my teacher or my students in person.

I have been looking forward to this semester my whole life and a pandemic is not going to change the excitement and the growth I will be experiencing over the next couple of months. Although I am uncertain, I know that I will come out of these 14 weeks more prepared than ever for my career path. Considering this pandemic probably won’t be gone by the time I have a job, I am getting really good at Zoom and adapting to online learning and resources. Although I wish with all my heart that I could be in the classroom, I know that the circumstances of my placement will make me a stronger teacher.

To all my student teachers out there, I know this is not the semester we wanted. I know it is going to be tough in an already tough semester. But we got this. We are strong, and are prepared, even when we don’t feel like it. I have had my doubts, and even though I’ve only been at this for a week, I am beginning to question my abilities in if I can handle this or not. But I know once I’m able to teach a lesson, nothing else matters because I have the skills and the knowledge to do so. 

Sarah Elizabeth

Monmouth '21

Sarah is currently a senior history/political science secondary education major with a minor in sociology. Her biggest dream in life is to be a middle or high school history teacher or to open up her own coffee shop. She loves dogs, strawberries, hiking and green tea.