body images 2019 02 03 50998046 10211003735047819 2249985353211445248 njpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 02 03 50998046 10211003735047819 2249985353211445248 njpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Favorite Movie Musical Soundtracks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Music can make or break a movie. Specifically, with movie musicals, music plays a vital role to not only understanding the plot, but understanding the characters as well. Each song helps move the movie along, all while allowing the viewer to feel a wide array of emotions. Movie musicals are always enjoyable to watch, and contain numerous songs that’ll be stuck in your head for days. Here are my top four movie musical soundtracks!

1. Hairspray

Set in the 1960s, Hairspray provides a catchy musical soundtrack set in the time of the civil rights movement and classic dance television shows. The songs are not only easy to get stuck in your head, but convey important cultural references relative to the time period that the movie is set in. Featuring the voices of Zac Efron, Nikki Blonsky, and even John Travolta, the movie is a smash hit that everyone seems to love. Fair warning: “You Can’t Stop the Beat” is a song that will definitely be in your head for days.

2. Mamma Mia

I know, I know, this is probably one of the most cliché movies to put on this list. But it’s SO good! Although the songs aren’t original (every song is from the group ABBA), the way the actors deliver the songs, as well as the beautiful setting of the movie, make for a thrilling and romantic soundtrack that friend groups seem to constantly thrive on. About 90% of this soundtrack is found on my current Spotify playlist, just saying.

3. La La Land

Some people say this movie is overrated. I am not one of those people. This movie is a prime example of how the songs can move the plot along and seriously generate emotions in the viewers. You go from feeling thrilled, to feeling romantic, to practically bawling your eyes out, all in the span of approximately 2 hours. The songs are catchy, beautiful, and though-provoking all at once, and it’s definitely a must watch for those who enjoy classic-feeling movie musicals and those who love an old-timey Hollywood feel.

4. Grease

This is literally a classic. Anyone who says otherwise, well, we won’t discuss this with them. For a movie made in the 70s that takes place in the 60s, the soundtrack still seems to be a hit to this day. I don’t know many people who say they’ve never seen the movie, showing just how much of a cultural icon this movie truly is. Olivia Newton John and John Travolta definitely make for a great singing duo, and all of the songs are so feel-good and energizing!

I hope this list helps you the next time you’re trying to find a movie that’ll have you mesmerized not only for the plot, but for the music as well!

Ashley Pastore

Monmouth '22

Hi! My name is Ashley Pastore, and I am a senior majoring in marine and environmental biology and policy, and minoring in information technology. I am a dog enthusiast, and love to go for hikes and try new food! Ask me anything about Harry Potter, I'm sure I'll know the answer!