I Guess I Just Feel Like… No One Understands Me Like John Mayer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

We’ll start from the beginning: I was raised on John Mayer’s music. My mom bought his debut Room for Squares album when I was only four, and we’ve been listening to him ever since.

In our house, he’s a family member who we refer to as only “John,” and there is literally a framed drawing of him in our living room. We’ve seen him live eight times, and when he releases a new song, it’s essentially a holiday. I know that this just makes us sound like crazy fangirls, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having a bit of an obsession. Life is endlessly more fun when you allow yourself to unapologetically geek-out over whatever and whoever you love.

Naturally, John has always been my go-to music choice whenever I need some emotional comfort. Amid moments of feeling lost, John is there to walk me through it. He also has a magical way of putting out the perfect style album for what I need in that exact moment. Born and Raised couldn’t be more different from Continuum, but I love them both and their timing into my life could not have been more impeccable. His latest single “I Guess I Just Feel Like,” is no exception from this.

First of all… that title. As someone who has a compulsion to always qualify statements with “I guess” or “I don’t care,” when I actually know and do care, I relate to it on a spiritual level. 

These lyrics feel like a hug around my soul: “I guess I just feel like nobody’s honest, nobody’s true, everyone’s lying to make it on through. I guess I just feel like I’m the same way too.”

Just to make him even cuter, he wrote this about the song’s creation on Instagram: “I wrote most of ‘I Guess I Just Feel Like’ in an hour […] The moral of the story? Honesty is the best technology.” 

While I’ve accepted that not everyone in the world can love John, I guess I just feel like everyone should. At the very least, follow him on Instagram. His Sunday night Current Mood sessions are what’s missing from your life. His latest theory on pants? Revolutionary and hilarious.

In addition to hitting that follow button, go check out the single. You’re guaranteed to see a little piece of yourself in it.

Thanks for always understanding me, John. 

Jenna Puglisi

Monmouth '19

Jenna founded Monmouth's chapter with her co-correspondent and BFF, Christi. Jenna is a senior at Monmouth, studying English with a minor in Public Relations. Her greatest love is writing, which she practices through journalism, poetry, and a personal blog at https://jennapug.com/. When she isn’t writing, you can find her wandering around bookstores, dancing at concerts, and drinking obscene amounts of coffee.