This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

The past six months has left everyone adapting to a “new normal.” The COVID-19 pandemic has changed our world forever, presenting us with extreme changes and challenges. This has not been easy, especially for those in school. 

As a college student, adapting to an all-remote learning lifestyle has been difficult. The days are filling up with work – from staring at a screen to join in Zoom class, to having heaps of homework to complete. 

This year has been undeniably stressful, and being home to complete the fall semester has left many feeling lonely, overwhelmed, angry, and other spiraling emotions. The emotions you experience during this time stresses the importance of practicing self-care. 

Self-care is crucial for everyone as it can minimize levels of stress and aid in the prevention of exhaustion.

Here are a few ways to practice self-care while participating in remote learning:

1. Take frequent breaks

You must step away from your screen and take a break from school. The work may seem endless, but you will get it done! Take a break to eat, go for a walk, and disconnect with the academic world. It will be beneficial to both your mental and physical health.

2. Have a movie night

This is one of the best practices of self-care! I’ve been making time during the day to work on school, and then end my night cuddled up under a blanket watching a movie. I find this to be extremely relaxing, and it even takes my mind off the stress of the real world. 

3. Exercise

As students, we are constantly sitting down for class, typing on our computers, and completing tasks for our courses. It is good to get up once in a while to get your body moving and your blood flowing. Incorporating as little as 10-15 minutes of exercise per day can make all the difference!

4. Make time to socialize

Although socializing seems difficult to do, it is important for our health. Meet up with friends at a local spot, head to the movie theater, or even set a time to get together socially distanced! My best friend and I host Zoom calls frequently, usually to catch up on each other’s lives and maybe even watch a show or movie. We have all this technology to talk with other people, so it is essential to use them to keep yourself sane.

5. GO TO SLEEP!

Maintaining a healthy sleeping schedule is the most important practice of self-care. Everyone needs a good night’s sleep to function the next day, so if you are up late studying or working, you are going to be less motivated to get things done the next day. Make sure you go to bed at a reasonable hour and get about 6-8 hours of sleep per night.

There are plenty of other ways to practice self-care, but these are five that I hope will encourage you to implement self-care in your life.

Remember to take time for yourself – you deserve it!

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!