Style > Beauty

How Dressing Nice Can Increase Your Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I have never been one to dress bad. My mother would never let me out of the out in sweatpants, and even a sweatshirt for a long time. During the semester, tired and all, I find it difficult to dress nicer, so I am normally in leggings and a sweatshirt with Ugg slippers on walking to class and around campus. But lately I have not been feeling like myself, and someone told me if you dress nice, you will feel better on the inside, so that is what I did.

Nothing overly fancy or dressed up but boots and a sweater with leggings or jeans. I put makeup on and make sure my hair looks like somewhat decent (I just got layers and am still learning to style them. Anyone with layers knows if you don’t style them, they look a mess). I wear hoops earrings or studs, hoops are my favorite confidence booster, and I am on my way.

I made sure this semester to only pack lounge clothes for lounging and enough gym clothes for 5 days week when I would go to the gym. And that is it. This way I am forced to look decent enough that my mom would approve and say I look nice and it really has been helping my mood.

I feel more receptive to new things, I feel more confident and feel a little more respect when talking to people. But I have started to feel like myself more as well. I am not saying that dressing nicer has fixed all of my issues, but it has helped me feel a little better knowing I am doing something to try and help myself.

Try dressing up a little differently one day and see what happens to your mood and your normal day!

Sarah Elizabeth

Monmouth '21

Sarah is currently a senior history/political science secondary education major with a minor in sociology. Her biggest dream in life is to be a middle or high school history teacher or to open up her own coffee shop. She loves dogs, strawberries, hiking and green tea.