This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Everyone has dealt with stress at one point in their lives. You may be stressed right now, or you may be reminded of some stressors in your life. Whatever the case, the point is that stress is sometimes unavoidable. I don’t have a quick fix for you or a way to eliminate it from ever happening. So long as you are alive you will feel life. That means you will feel happiness, love, excitement, sadness, and yes, stress (perhaps lots of it). So no, I don’t have a miraculous cure for you; but I do have some ways that can help you cope with that small, yet heavy, part of your being.

Just Stop

Okay, so this coping mechanism sounds easier than it actually is.

“I can’t just stop being stressed!”

I understand that you cannot “just stop” the feeling. What I mean for you to do is to ‘stop’ your day.

To have a ‘stop day’ you should not do any hard work or take on any stressful tasks. On this day, you can do anything you want, or nothing at all. It’s your time. This is to remind you that you are in charge of your life. Your responsibilities are important, but they are not your only purpose. You have a right to a break!

Repeat Daily Affirmations

This technique may feel silly at first, but it works! Repeating positivity to yourself (especially during stressful times) will help ground your thoughts and put life into perspective. How many times have you been stressed out about something so much and then realized it was really no big deal? If, after a while, you do not think it is helping you, “just stop” and no harm is done.

So, for daily affirmations you should take a couple of seconds throughout the day to repeat them to yourself. They could be anything you want. Some ideas are:

• I accept myself.
  • I am doing my best.
  • I am going to be okay.
  • I am not afraid to be different.
  • I am choosing and not waiting to be chosen.
  • Even if I fall back one day, I won’t be stuck forever.
  • I choose to be calm even in times of stress.
  • I know I am not perfect, and that’s okay.

Do Some Good

This one is one of my favorites. Helping others and being kind are really good emotional boosters. Sometimes we get so consumed with our own thoughts that we don’t notice the world around us – or the people around us.  ‘Doing good’ can come in all shapes and sizes. Go to a park or the beach and spend a day picking up trash with your friends. Make it a game and the person who collects the most gets a prize! Volunteer at a non-profit and spend the day away from all the problems in your own life.

Last, but not least, always be kind. It takes no effort to smile at someone you pass by on the street – or to open the door for someone whose hands are full. Little things make the biggest difference.