Hoboken: My favorite spot in NJ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

New Jersey honestly has such a bad reputation. Most people associate New Jersey with horrible accents, the show “Jersey Shore”, and aggressive drivers. Similarly, when many people think of New Jersey, not many beautiful sceneries probably come to mind. However, New Jersey is full of beautiful towns and cities, with my absolute favorite being Hoboken.

No, this isn’t me being biased because my boyfriend goes to school there (ok, maybe that contributes just a tiny bit). But all kidding aside, Hoboken is really a gem of New Jersey. It has a little bit of everything, and there’s always something to do. 

Hoboken is up in Hudson county, right across from midtown Manhattan. The city itself is completely walkable, earning the nickname the “Square Mile City”. This makes it super easy to talk a walk along the Hudson River waterfront, where, I might add, you can get a PERFECT view of the city. Whether it be on Pier A, the Pier C park, or up on one of the patios at Stevens Institute of Technology (go Ducks!), your view of the city skyline is sure to be amazing, especially at sunset.

Hoboken also offers a wide variety of food. Whether you like Indian food, Chinese food, Italian food, Meditteranean food, or any other type of food you can think of, I can guarantee that this city has it. Oh, did I mention Carlo’s Bakery is also located here? (It was on Cake Boss in case you didn’t know!) Sure, it’s a little pricey since it’s right next to the city, but it’s definitely worth it. 

The city also always has events going on. If you’re over the age of 21, many of the city’s bars have bar crawls all throughout the year with super fun themes like SantaCon or St. Patrick’s Day. The city’s parks and piers also have many different events being held throughout the year, ranging anywhere from yoga to family fall fests to movies at night in the summer. There’s always something to keep you busy no matter your age.

Yes, this article is just me hyping up my favorite city. Yes, I know most people don’t want to hear me brag about it. But honestly, Hoboken really is a great place to visit, even just for a day trip. It really is a pleasant little city, especially if you love the city feel but not the loudness and hustle of New York City. Whether you’re going with your friends, family, or significant other, Hoboken is really, truly worth the visit!

Ashley Pastore

Monmouth '22

Hi! My name is Ashley Pastore, and I am a senior majoring in marine and environmental biology and policy, and minoring in information technology. I am a dog enthusiast, and love to go for hikes and try new food! Ask me anything about Harry Potter, I'm sure I'll know the answer!