Five Things to Be Grateful for This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

As the workload increases in our classes, that means the semester is almost over. When the semester is almost over, that means the holidays are close – first up is Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is quickly approaching this week, landing on, of course, the last Thursday in November. It will be nice to sit down for a nice meal and connect with your family; however, this year, that means just your immediate family. 

The COVID-19 pandemic is ongoing, with no end in sight. This Thanksgiving, several national officials recommend spending the holiday with those living in the same house as you, whether that be parents or siblings. To celebrate with extended family members, it is recommended that families participate in a virtual Thanksgiving. 

Now, this has disappointed plenty of people around the country; however, it is what must be done to keep everyone safe and hopefully put an end to this soon.

To lessen the pain, we can all think of things that we are thankful for this year, but if we are struggling to stay positive, I provided five examples of things to appreciate.

1. Family

With the pandemic, millions of college students were forced to remain home for the school year. Although this may take away the college experience, it is great to be surrounded by family. My family acted as a support system and it has been great; though there were some bumps along the way, we all have adjusted and are so glad to have this time together that we normally wouldn’t have.

2. Being Safe

Look on the bright side, you are safe. You are breathing and you are okay. This year hasn’t been easy on anyone, but taking a step back and understanding how lucky you are is vital right now. Safety is usually overlooked and taken for granted, but this Thanksgiving, it’s good to realize and appreciate this.

3. Technology

2020 has been a test for many, wondering when the next time they will see others. Since this is the 21st century, of course, many devices allow you to communicate through technology. Whether it be connecting on social media platforms, video chatting, watching films/tv shows, or playing online games, technology has kept us all together this year.

4. Free Time

Typically, there is no such thing as free time in life. Everyone is busy with something – work, school, relationships, family, etc. However, this year has given us more time by ourselves. I, for one, have learned a lot about myself this year and have changed so much. Too much time by yourself can be detrimental, but this has been a learning experience that I am sure millions of others have gone through this year as well. So, appreciate how much you’ve grown this year, and be proud of everything you’ve done and will do in the future.

5. Frontline Workers

These are the real heroes of 2020. This year has been a total mess and nothing has felt the same since March. From medical workers to retail workers, they get up every single day and go to work giving the public a feeling of comfort and familiarity. They have risked their lives for us, and they deserve to be appreciated and thanked until the end of time. To anyone that works on the frontlines, thank you for everything you have done to make my family and I feel safe during this time. I know it hasn’t been easy, but your work will never go unnoticed.

There are several other things to be grateful for, but these are five things I am focusing on this Thanksgiving. 

I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving! Be safe, enjoy your meal, and have a wonderful celebration with family (virtually)!

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!