Style

#FEELINGMYSELF: 5 Ways To Own Your Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Being yourself is easy. Expressing who that person is to others becomes the real challenge.

Creating a style of your own allows for your personality to shine through for those surrounding to see. It is intimidating at times; however, following these steps will enable you to become more confident in wearing clothes that showcase the awesomeness that makes you, you!

1. Confidence is the key in unlocking the secret to a sense of style that will set you apart from the rest. Self-love is the first step in finding clothing that draws attention to your assets. Even the boldest patterns and brightest colors can blend into the crowd if the person wearing them does not walk into the room with their head held high. Building awareness of your body’s strengths is one way you can become comfortable in your own skin. Spending more time each day to appreciate your unique physical beauty can help you to choose an outfit that makes you feel good.
  2. Fashion trends are always fun to follow; however, your style is a reflection of your own self. While it is not wrong to incorporate different fads into your everyday looks, adding touches of personality is what really makes an outfit worth remembering. If the neon pink legwarmers that have been sitting in your mother’s bottom drawer since the late 80’s have been calling your name, don’t hesitate to respond.
  3. Stepping out of your comfort zone is a major milestone when fully expressing your inner style. While it is totally fine to stick to what you know, I encourage you to switch it up every once and a while, even if just for a day. Expanding your wardrobe to different colors, textures and articles of clothing will motivate you to branch out from the look you have been stuck on abandoning. 
  4. “Constructive criticism” usually hurts more than we would like to admit. Some of us know all too well the cringe moment when a nasty comment is made about an outfit you love. More often than not, this is a projection of their own insecurities. Never allow yourself to feel ashamed for looking as great as you do and expressing yourself. Look the other way and continue to rock it!
  5. Document the days that you feel beautiful. Embracing moments when you feel good creates a chain reaction of positivity and empowerment. Be obsessed with your own style because others will be sure to follow!

As a senior at Monmouth University, I have partnered with my co-correspondent, Jenna, in founding our own chapter of Her Campus.