This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

I struggle to come to the realization that an entire year has passed living with this virus. I can remember driving on eerily empty roads, going on mindless walks, and baking or cooking a new dish almost every day of the week just to keep myself entertained. People have already started to romanticize the first few months of the pandemic, but I think they fail to remember the fear that struck deep within most people during those early days—that fear that still remains with many people today.

A year ago, I was baking and cooking a different dish each day, now I still cook for myself, but I’m focusing on healthy, sustainable meals that I can make repeatedly and feel satisfied with. A year ago, I downloaded TikTok and even made one because I was that bored, now I contemplate deleting the app almost every time I open it. A year ago, I was studying for the MCAT and was planning to apply for medical schools this coming spring, now I am in the process of deciding which Graduate school to attend for a Masters in Microbiology and Immunology. A year ago, I was saddened by the fact that my junior year was cut short and that I could not spend time with my friends, now I get to see most of them on a daily basis, and others I still keep in touch with. A part of me is still disappointed about my senior year being so uneventful compared to all of the plans I had made pre-COVID-19. I am trying to change my mentality though, and am now thinking about those same plans as something to look forward to rather than something that could have been.

Some thoughts that I had pre-COVID-19 still remain though. I remain nervous about graduation, not seeing my friends on a daily basis, and just generally thinking about my future—professionally and academically. I find myself worried about keeping in touch with my friends after college, so much so that I think I forget to appreciate the time I have with them now.

But I remain hopeful for the future. Now that more people are getting vaccinated and the number of new cases has either plateaued or begins to decrease, I am hopeful for a sense of normalcy to return to our daily lives. We may still be a ways away from not having to social distance or wear masks, but at least the weather is starting to warm up and we will soon be able to eat outside again and go on walks. Sometimes it is the little things that we look forward to that make the days easier to get through.

Subah Soni

Monmouth '21

I am a Senior Biology major with a concentration in molecular cell physiology. I'm a former RA and current SI leader for an intro Biology class. I do Cancer Cell Research and I volunteered abroad in Guatemala to help build a medical office. I'm passionate about the environment and living a positive, guilt-free lifestyle.