21st Century Positivity: Yungblud Concert Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Yungblud is the artist that everyone should be watching. I went into this concert only knowing a few songs, and I left infatuated with his hypnotically endless energy.

I attended Yungblud’s show at the House of Independents in Asbury Park, NJ. The show was sold out, and when I arrived there was a line wrapped around the building. Some of his fans are even known to follow his tour around the country. Their dedication is reminiscent of what I used to witness at One Direction concerts – that “it” factor doesn’t come around often.

I was also lucky enough to go backstage to meet Yungblud, where he welcomed me with a hug and smile. He is incredibly genuine, and it’s hard to believe that he’s only 21 years old. Yungblud confidently carries himself and encourages others to do the same. He isn’t afraid to speak out about mental health, and he has created a positive community that his fans can rely on.

My favorite part of his set was when he told the crowd that they could be whoever they wanted to be, without judgement. After announcing the sacredness of the space, Yungblud told everyone to put their arms around the people next to them and say, “I love you.” It was a simple and powerful moment. It perfectly encapsulated what I love most about music and concerts – the sense of belonging.

[https://twitter.com/yungblud/]

Yungblud hit the stage in a way that was both hedonistic and holy. He points to Mick Jagger as one of his idols, and the influence of that swagger is evident. From the first song in the set, “21st Century Liability,” Yungblud had an incredible amount of energy that lasted until the last note.

There was no barrier between the crowd and the stage, enhancing the connection between him and the fans. Countless people were crowdsurfing, Yungblud never stopped jumping, and everyone knew every word. My favorite song of the night was “I Love You, Will You Marry Me.” The room turned absolutely electric.

In Yungblud’s interview with Bri Born for WRSU 88.7 FM, he shared, “I love anything that’s melodic and anything that’s real.” His entire set lived up to this quest for genuine musicality.

In this interview, Yungblud went on to say, “Genre’s becoming more and more irrelevant every single morning I wake up.” His music has influences of punk, alternative, pop, and rock. It’s difficult to label him as anything other than captivating.

If you want to listen to Bri’s full interview, you can find it here:

This US tour wraps up in Kentucky on July 14. He is one of the most impressive performers that I have ever watched. If he is coming to your city, definitely check him out!

Jenna Puglisi

Monmouth '19

Jenna founded Monmouth's chapter with her co-correspondent and BFF, Christi. Jenna is a senior at Monmouth, studying English with a minor in Public Relations. Her greatest love is writing, which she practices through journalism, poetry, and a personal blog at https://jennapug.com/. When she isn’t writing, you can find her wandering around bookstores, dancing at concerts, and drinking obscene amounts of coffee.