2020 Resolutions: It’s O.K. If They Weren’t Met!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

2020 has been one heck of a year, that’s for sure! Who would have thought around this time last year where we would be at this point in our lives? We were oblivious as to what was ahead, making numerous New Year’s resolutions we hoped to accomplish. Maybe you made a resolution to lose weight… or maybe your resolution involved getting a new job…. maybe it was merely to pick up a new hobby. These past 12 months, however, may have deterred you from accomplishing the goals you set out to conquer this year. You might be feeling disgruntled because of this, and perhaps even discouraged from making more this year. That’s okay!!! You survived a year that will go down in history as being one of the most stressful and hectic years we will probably ever live through!

It’s okay if you gained weight in quarantine! It’s okay if you’ve done nothing but sleep and binge watch shows and movies for the last 9 months! And it’s okay if you’ve been feeling sadder and more anxious lately! We’re living during a pandemic for heck’s sake! You have survived so much and gone through chaos this past year, so do NOT be disappointed in yourself for not accomplishing your original goals this year. No one could have seen this coming, so instead be proud of yourself for moving forward, for getting through a terrible time, and for literally, well, being you! Your body and your mind have gotten you through pure insanity, so be proud!

Overall, you shouldn’t be ashamed if you didn’t even accomplish half of what you set out to do this year. We were all oblivious last December 31st as to the craziness that was to come; now that we’ve lived through the year 2020, we’ve grown to learn more about ourselves, as well as what we will go through should anything like this *hopefully never* happens again. So, who cares if you didn’t lose the 10 pounds or pick up learning the guitar? You lived through a pandemic, and to me, that’s insanely impressive!

Ashley Pastore

Monmouth '22

Hi! My name is Ashley Pastore, and I am a senior majoring in marine and environmental biology and policy, and minoring in information technology. I am a dog enthusiast, and love to go for hikes and try new food! Ask me anything about Harry Potter, I'm sure I'll know the answer!