This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Monmouth chapter.

Romantic movies have made millions around the world and create sky-high standards for a person’s future partner. Trust me – I’m one of them. 

These movies made me believe that my person is right around the corner, waiting for me. Hell, the perfect guy could knock on my door one day and ask for my hand in marriage. If you can’t tell, that obviously hasn’t happened… yet. 

Just kidding, I have to leave my house for that to happen for me. Seriously?

I may come off reserved and impassive, but deep down, I am a hopeless romantic. Even though I’m not looking for anything right now, I figured I could project my desires through the characters in movies – sounds pretty legit!

If you’re like me, here are some rom-coms to fulfill your lonely heart this Valentine’s Day:

1. Set It Up (Netflix, 2018)

This Netflix original, filled with a star-studded cast, reigns as my favorite rom-com of the decade. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched this movie or how many people I’ve forced to sit down and watch this with me. 

2. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

Such a classic. Any time this is on TV, I stop whatever I’m doing to watch it. I mean, come on, Heath Ledger and Joseph Gordon-Levitt – what more could you ask for?

3. Crazy Rich Asians (2018)

From the cast to the crew, a production full of diversity. It’s incredible to see in this day and age. As for the actual movie, please watch ASAP. It has equal parts comedy and romance, so you’ll be laughing and feeling emo at the same time!

4. 13 Going on 30 (2004)

Ah, this movie makes me reminisce on my teenage years when I dreamed of working for MTV and marrying Chris Evans (sorry, Mark Ruffalo).

5. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before (Netflix, 2018)

Peter Kavinsky raised my standards to the point of no return.

6. To All the Boys: P.S. I Still Love You (Netflix, 2020)

Sure, John Ambrose is the embodiment of a perfect guy, but sorry, Team Peter for life.

7. To All the Boys: Always and Forever, Lara Jean (Netflix, Feb. 12, 2021)

Boy, I can’t wait to sit down after a long day and cry my eyes out at the end of the trilogy. Once again, Lara Jean and Peter are endgame.

8. Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)

Ok, so I still haven’t seen this movie, but it doesn’t mean I can’t put it on the list! I have plans to watch this soon, so I’m excited. A big plus is that I love everyone in the film, so I can’t wait!

9. The Proposal (2009)

Ryan Reynolds, my rom-com king. Also, Kevin stole the show for me.

10. Love, Simon (2018)

I truly have never been more emo than I was reading this book. Ok, that’s a lie… it was when I got to see the story played out on the big screen. The representation in this film, is just *chef’s kiss.* It’s available to watch on Hulu, so please make time to watch this. Then after, watch the Hulu original spin-off series Love, Victor!

11. 50 First Dates (2004)

This is probably my most watched rom-com of all time. I can practically quote the entire movie at this point. Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore = best rom-com duo!!!

12. The Half Of It (Netflix, 2020)

Like Crazy, Stupid, Love, I haven’t seen this movie. I’ve heard great things from my friends who watched it, so that’s awesome to know! Also, it’s not your conventional love story, which is soooo much better!

13. Love and Basketball  (2000)

Though there isn’t much comedy in this, nothing hits like a sports romantic movie. As a fellow competitive basketball player, I always dreamed of ending up with a male counterpart, but it didn’t happen – who cares! I can watch Sanaa Lathan and Omar Epps live that dream for me!

14. Always Be My Maybe (2019)

The two leads of this film could not have been better. Randall Park and Ali Wong, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Michael Golamco, are incredible. Like Crazy Rich Asians, the entire production was full of individuals of underrepresented groups in the industry. 

15. Trainwreck (2015)

My crush on Bill Hader will never fade. He is perfect and I love him. He is the rom-com lead I deserve.

Allison is 21 years old and currently a senior at Monmouth University. She is an English major and hopes to enter a career in digital content writing or social media marketing. She loves all things pop culture - tv shows, movies, music, beauty, and more!