Time To Heat Things Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

It’s official the summer days are gone we’re all back in full swing school mode right now, and I’m not saying that because of the classes, or because the leaves are now fully orange on the trees. I’m saying it because of this unbearable soul-freezing cold weather! Seriously, whatever happened to the 80-90 degree weather when you could wake up in the morning and not feel like you should’ve slept a jacket, or when I could leave a case of water bottles out in the open and not find them frozen solid in an hour? To make matters worse Mother Nature seems like she’s just been teasing us with this weather one day it’s nice out with 70-degree heat and another morning I’m shaking like a leaf in my room not wanting to get up and go to class because it’s 47 freaking degrees outside!! I know that there are some of you that for some reason actually love this kind of tear freezing weather but for those of you who are like me and enjoy the warm, energy bringing sensation of the blazing sun and are struggling like me in this Fall season here are some 5 tips to help keep you warm till springtime.

5. Multiple Layers: This is an age-old tactic guaranteed to keep you warm during the cold seasons, wearing multiple layers helps to trap body heat in your body and warm air in between the layers keeping you warm. However, be sure not to overdo it when wearing multiple layers, because the sudden shift in temperature when going from an outdoor environment to an indoor environment can cause extreme discomfort if the indoor environment is heated…(I don’t know where all those big words came from in the last sentence, sorry let me break it down for you). Basically saying that if you’re wearing multiple layers in a room that is already being heated you’re going to be dripping in sweat and I don’t think your teachers will appreciate you stripping in the middle of class, it might be a bit of a distraction.

4. Hand Warmers: This takes me back to my days as a drummer boy marching in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade (yes I was a little drummer boy it’s in the past now) and I remember that every other parade we marched (St. Patrick’s being the exception) was at least 30 degrees or lower, it was torture even my multiple layers didn’t save me but that was when I learned the magic of hand warmers, hand warmers are these small packs of carbon, iron, and water that begin heating themselves up when exposed to air, people often put them inside of their gloves and socks in order to keep their hands and feet warm during cold seasons. However be careful when using them as they do tend to get VERY hot, I kept two of them in my gloves during a parade one time and it felt like a whole was being burnt through my palm, never again.

3. Heaters: In this day and age I’m pretty sure that anyone who can afford a heater owns one, even for those of you who like the cold there’s only so much you can take the same can be said for those of you who like the heat but still own an AC. But owning a heater is probably the easiest way to feel warm again during the cold season you literally can have heat radiating through your room or wherever you are at the press of a button or flick of a switch.

2. Exercise: There’s nothing like a little physical activity to get the heart pumping and the blood vessels going. Through exercising your body’s adrenaline to increase and to expel more body and sweat the more you work as well as increasing the blood flow to the skin, thus keeping you warm during and after your workout. So if you want to stay warm and get in shape let this fall and winter be the time for hitting the gym, it’s a win, win.

1. Break out the North Face: If all else fails and you still can’t find your inner warmth in this freezing wind and snow (some poetry for you there) then it’s time to break out the North Face jacket. If you don’t know what North Face is in short it’s those big puffy jackets with the fur hoods that say North Face on them, that nobody likes to wear because they’re hard to move in and very puffy but everyone does wear because they are extremely warm and are a blessing during the winter time. I can say from experience that even though these jackets are expensive (one of them can be about $300) they are worth the money, I’ve worn mine in in 20 and below weather and when I finally took it off I was sweating. If you’re still struggling in this cold weather North Face will always be glad to warm you up.