pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Profile: Mike Schultz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.
Name: Michael Schultz

Year: Senior

Major: Communications: Media

Hometown: Hicksville

What do you do on campus? “I’m the president and founder of Anime Club and I’m also the current VP of Gaming Club. I also like to host/organize anime or gaming-themed events on campus!”

How easy was it to start your own club at Molloy? “Setting everything up was simple, but the first time I stood out in front of that sea of eyes during our first interest meeting, I was incredibly nervous. Honestly, Anime Club changed my life; it broke me out of my shell and really motivated me to work my hardest, I met so many incredible people and made so many awesome friends thanks to Anime Club, both in school and through all of the great things we did together through the years.”

What are your goals for the club? “The short answer: I just want everyone to have fun and enjoy their time in the club. The long answer: I really wanted the environment inside the club to feel as exciting and energetic as it feels when you attend anime conventions, kind of like a zero judgement space where you can show off your passion for anime, games, and everything related to the fandom; a place where you can meet awesome people, chat about the things you love, and learn more about anime, the fandom, and Japan too!”

What do you do in Anime Club? “So much… We go to conventions together, host awesome guest speakers, have giveaways, gameshows, gaming days, tournaments, contests for all the cool anime freebies we get from conventions, make stuff, and of course, watch anime!”

What do you do in Gaming Club? “As a club dedicated to all kinds of gaming, we try to bring in a variety of different games so that we can all explore, experience, and share the incredible multiverse of gaming! Gaming club isn’t just for video games, we also love to bring in trading card games as well! (such as Magic the Gathering and Yugioh!)

What is it like to be a senior? “I feel old now, time flies by so quickly! Overall senior year is really busy, especially with seminar and Advanced TV, but overall this year I’m working hard to finish strong because I want to be proud of the work that I did and the experiences I had in college. Honestly, I really don’t think senior-itis hit me at all!”

What are your post graduation plans? “My dream is to work in the American anime industry at a company like Aniplex of America, Funimation, or Sentai Filmworks hosting the panels and motivating the fans through marketing/PR (or even just making trailers), but I’d love to do post-production or graphic/visual effects work for anyone in the film industry. I also wouldn’t mind moving out to California, it’s beautiful out there and I love the warm weather!”

Do you guys hang out outside of school? “Yeah, definitely! We meet up at conventions like New York Comic Con, Otakon, and also have action-packed hang-outs in the city during breaks. We also attend the Sakura Matsuri at Brooklyn Botanical Gardens every year!”

What is your favorite anime? “Angel Beats! Not sure why I love it so much, but it’s by far my favorite series. It’s the perfect mix of everything: great and unique music, beautiful artwork, awesome characters but the feels though, so many feels! I also love the meanings behind the show: live for and do your best to help others, make the most out of any hardship, and do your best to find what motivates you in life and embrace it.”

Xbox One or PS4? “Honestly I’d say PC, but I have an Xbox One. Have to say that PS4 is better though.”

World of Warcraft or League of Legends? “League of Legends all the way! Sona is my favorite champion and she got me placed in gold last season! #support4life, wards save lives!”

Angela is a Media Communications major with a New Media minor at Molloy College. She is also a writer for Her Campus Molloy and photographer for Molloy Life Media. When she is not testing out her photography skills or writing an new piece, Angela can be found hanging out with her friends or watching Netflix. She is very excited to continue working with all her fellow Her Campus staff members through the next few years while finishing up her degree at Molloy College.