This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

There are a multitude of reasons as to why people choose to wear makeup or not. Whether you do or don’t, that shouldn’t affect how people perceive you.

So you wear makeup…

Maybe you wear makeup on a regular basis, or maybe only on special occasions, but you do wear makeup. Makeup is a form of expression, and your face is the canvas. You can project your mood onto your face or just match your eyeshadow and lipstick with the color of your outfit. How many posts have you seen about people complaining that makeup is the reason why they have trust issues? Puh-lease! You do you, wear that makeup. Express yourself! Look good for you. Highlight the features you want to highlight. Cover up that pimple that’s been bothering you. Define those eyebrows, make them on fleek! Your beauty is still valid, and it’s still you. Don’t think that because you cover your face in makeup, you’re covering up your true self. You are projecting yourself and your style onto your face for everyone to see, and that is powerful.

So you don’t wear makeup…

You’ve never worn makeup before? That’s totally okay. Some people don’t have time to put on makeup in the morning, or they are happy just the way they are. People express themselves in different ways and makeup isn’t the only outlet for self-expression. You could watch a million makeup tutorials and never get that perfect winged eyeliner look, and that’s fine. Some people don’t have the time or patience.Want to show off that scar on your cheek? Do it! Some people like to show their blemishes because it’s authentically them and that’s awesome. We shouldn’t judge people for acne or scars. Want to go all natural? Make sure you’re doing it for you, and not because some guy said that he likes it when girls look “natural.” If you look in the mirror and think you’re beautiful, you are! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Maybe you make yourself feel beautiful in other ways, or you indulge yourself in other ways, your beauty is still valid.

No matter what, you are you, and you should express yourself in ways that make you happy. Makeup doesn’t define you… well it kind of does, but not figuratively. Whether you choose to let your inner beauty shine through your choice of eyeshadow, or let it shine through the way you dance, there’s no one quite like you. 

We’re all just trying to get by and live this one life we have to the fullest. As ladies, we have enough people trying to put us down, the least we could do is pick each other back up.

Let us know how you express yourself in the comments below!

Source for title photo: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-20511/women-put-makeup-on-half-their-face…

Liz Spencer is a Professional Communications major with minors in new media and journalism. When she's not staying at Molloy until one in the morning, she can be found reading, singing in the shower, dancing like no one is watching, or taking naps at home. She loves writing and is very happy to be a part of the newly created Molloy Her Campus chapter. She loves laughing, talking, and meeting new people. Liz is a huge advocate of societal equality and is always willing to lend a helping hand.