Halloween, Christmas, And..Wait What Was The Other One?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

October is coming to a close and I feel that it is about time that we addressed the elephant in the room…or rather the pumpkin, or maybe the turkey? Elf? Whatever, the point is we got a problem here people, October, November, and December are the last three months of the year and each one brings with it a very beloved holiday. In October we have Halloween that one day of the year where you can dress terrifying or promiscuous and not get in trouble or be labeled for it, in November we have Thanksgiving that one day of the year where we get to stuff our face with as much mouth watering food as we want! Turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, baked bread, baked, macaroni, chicken, rice, pumpkin pie, apple pie, it’s all just so good I can’t deci-wait did I forget something? Oh yeah, we give thanks for everything too, and finally December, arguably the favorite of the 3 for one reason and one reason only….FREE PRESENTS! Yes, there’s the carol singing, good will towards all feeling of Christmas that puts everyone in high spirits but let’s be honest Christmas has become a materialistic based on giving rather than receiving and sadly that’s demised the good-natured feel of the holiday…but on the other hand, who doesn’t like free stuff? However, as I stated prior there is a problem amongst the holidays and no, it’s not the lack of joy or togetherness amongst the holidays I can assure you that even though holidays are becoming more commercialized these days there is still that feeling of pure happiness and enchantment among the holidays.

No my dear readers, the problem is that one of the holidays is completely outshined by the other two, almost to the point where it would be forgotten if not for it’s part in history involving the pilgrims and the Native Americans, as well as the large feasts that we prepare each year, (which may very well be the ONLY reason the holiday still survives) yes my dear collegiates and colleggets I’m speaking of the formerly infamous Turkeyday otherwise known as Thanksgiving. Now, I know what you’re thinking, Thanksgiving seems pretty popular, there’s the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade and uhh…oh yeah that’s it. Thanksgiving does get recognition but not very much in comparison to the others before Thanksgiving was about gathering the family and saying what we’re thankful for and just be together, nowadays it’s just an indicator for free food and the arrival of Christmas. Even in stores and malls, there are always a million Halloween and Christmas decorations but not one Thanksgiving decoration, and I wouldn’t have even noticed this had it not been the middle of October and the beginning of November, would it kill them to put up an inflatable Turkey and show Thanksgiving some love? But overall if we’re going to idolize two holidays we might as well do it for all, Halloween and Christmas are but Thanksgiving is the one that really brings families together, so let us give it the recognition it deserves.