This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

In 2008, Lady Gaga gave the world a new look at pop music. Her first album, Fame, was released in August, which featured her iconic singles “Poker Face” and “Just Dance.” The album was successful worldwide.  People had started catching on how Lady Gaga was different. She would show up to fashion shows, music awards, etc., with the most bizarre outfits. Some people would say she was “weird” and “crazy.” Others would admire her for being different. 

Over time, Lady Gaga had exploded into an icon around the world. Everyone loved her and her music. They loved how different and crazy she was. She would speak publically about how being different was okay. She had developed a fanbase and named themselves “Little Monsters.” The people who know or met her would say that she is very sweet but can be a diva when she had to be- which is how it should be. She was a down to earth woman. Billboard was piling up with her number one hit singles, such as “Bad Romance” and “Born This Way.” Millions and millions of people would buy her music and go to see her shows. Her success skyrocketed. Her “little monsters” were absolutely loving her look and craziness.

Last year, Gaga joined the hit show American Horror Story, and this year released her new album, Joanne. Not all of her “little monsters” were on board with her new album, though. In this album, Gaga portrays more vocals than the pop beat she used to go for. Joanne is more simple and understanding. Gaga got rid of her wigs and bizarre outfits and took on a more “mature” look in the past two years. She wants people to know that she is more than a pop star, but a fantastic singer as well. Not a lot of people knew Gaga had pipes until Joanne and when she appeared on James Corden’s Car Pool Karaoke on the Late Late Show.

Even though some are happy to her success with this album, her “little monsters” can’t help but struggle with her new evolution. Her fans thought of her as their voice. The reason why they were so comfortable with themselves and their decisions was because of her. She was different so they related to her. And now, they see her wearing immaculate dresses, her hair always styled, and yet they can’t help but panic. They think that she has changed. But, change can be a good thing. An artist is supposed to change, improve, create something new, mature, and grow over the years. She doesn’t need to make “Poker Face[s]” and “Bad Romance” all the time. Nobody does that unless you’re a chart addicted “artist.” 

So to the negative “monsters” out there, let Gaga create what she wants. Nobody is obligating you to like it. She is still the same woman who would defend her fans and for what she believes in. All she wanted was change and a different approach to her music. So move on and take your 2008 Gaga memories with you because this is just the beginning of her new era!

Photo creds: