Campus Cutie: Anne O’Rourke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Name: Anne O’Rourke

Year: Junior

Major: Music Therapy

Hometown: Laurel, NY (North Fork of Long Island)

Relationship status: In a relationship

When did you first start playing music? “I’ve been playing guitar for 6 years and singing for as long as I can remember. When I was fourteen, I started to write my own music.”

Who inspired you to start playing music? “My good friend Patti Homan, who I sing with at my church back home. I love the way she plays guitar and her passion for music is inspiring. My inspiration to start writing music came from my guitar teacher and also Andrew McMahon, from bands Something Corporate, Jack’s Mannequin and now Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness. I love how he writes with so much power and beauty in his words. When I first started, I wanted to write just like him.”

Do you have a favorite artist to cover? “This summer I had a lot of fun covering Twenty One Pilot’s new song “Tear in My Heart” with my friend Kyle Zavada on percussion, it was a blast! Other than that, I like singing Ed Sheeran and some Vance Joy. Also, if you’re familiar with “Once The Musical”, it’s so much fun to sing “Falling Slowly”! My friend Anne Crean and I covered that one at some gigs this summer.”

Do you have any new music coming out soon? “I’m working on a new song “Little By Little” but I’m in the process of recording my newest songs “Another Way and Light”, which I performed it at the 9/11 concert at Molloy this year, so look out for those!”

If you could tour with anyone who would you tour with and why? “I’ve always admired Matt Nathanson for his awesome presence on stage, so maybe I’d like to tour with him someday or maybe even Andrew McMahon since I’ve listened to his music since high school. Both of these guys are amazing musicians, if I ever got a chance to just meet them, it would be spectacular!”

Do you have a favorite song of your own to play? “I really have a fun time playing my song “Here’s to It All”, because it makes everyone want to get up and dance! Also, because so many people are a part of the song. On a good day, I can have my friend Kyle Zevada on percussion, my friend Anne Crean on harmony, and my friend Ben Norton on harmonica and it’s so fun to jam with everyone!”

Do you have any shows coming up? “Not at the moment, since I’m swamped with school, but I’m tryin’ to make it to Friday night Open Mic Nights at The Roast in Patchouge. I went there a lot in the summer and the atmosphere is so inviting- plus there’s great coffee: So I encourage those who want a fun night out east to check it out!”

Where can we find your music? “I share my music and updates on gigs and new songs on these platforms!”:

Soundcloud: Anne O’Rourke 1

YouTube: angelvoiceannie

Facebook: Anne O’Rourke Music

Instagram: @aormusicofficial

Email: aormusicofficial@gmail.com

Official Website: http://aormusicofficial.wix.com/aor-music-official

“I’m also selling copies of my album for $5, so find me around campus or shoot me an email! You can also find my song “Cliffs” on iTunes!”

Mary Corbett is just a swarm of bees in a trench coat trying to do life and tell as many bad jokes as possible.