sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Benefits of Having a Job in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Molloy chapter.

Trust me, I know getting a job can be difficult and it is definitely time consuming, but there are 5 major benefits to having a job during college.

1. Independence

Obviously, having a job can build up your independence. You no longer have to rely on your parents people for money- and you can go out to the movies or dinner whenever you want.

2. Preparation for your future

By having a job early on, especially in college, you can get used to the type of environment you plan on working in after you graduate. That way, when you get out there in the “real world,” it won’t be as scary.

3. Improving your work ethic

Having a job can even help enhance the way you work. Not just in the work world, but in the homework world too. Many jobs require things to be done on time and there are consequences if you don’t follow the rules, making jobs perfect practice for time management. 

4. Finding out what you like and don’t like

Having a part-time job can help you figure out what works and what doesn’t work for you. Having multiple jobs can help you find your passion and what you want in a full-time job. Maybe you like flexible hours, working in a team setting, working with people, or working long hours. The beauty of having a part-time job is that you are able to explore your options.

5. Building up your savings

One of the most important benefits of having a job is building up your savings. Many of us will have student loans that we will have to pay off after college. By having your own job, you can start saving for those hard times now. It can also teach you how to build up your savings for the future and how to budget yourself. Spending $100 a week on candy probably isn’t going to work well into adulthood, anyway, so pick your most important needs and spend your money wisely!

If you’re considering getting a job, check out the Career Development Center at Molloy. They are dedicated to helping students with anything involving jobs and careers. They can even help you create a resume and prepare you for interviews!

Liz Spencer is a Professional Communications major with minors in new media and journalism. When she's not staying at Molloy until one in the morning, she can be found reading, singing in the shower, dancing like no one is watching, or taking naps at home. She loves writing and is very happy to be a part of the newly created Molloy Her Campus chapter. She loves laughing, talking, and meeting new people. Liz is a huge advocate of societal equality and is always willing to lend a helping hand.