This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

The average college student attends class regularly and completes assignments, with the hopes of earning a degree and moving up in the world. Yasmeen Black is not an average student.

Black goes above and beyond at Minnesota State University, Mankato, as a hardworking student who is consistently active in campus and community involvement.

Her compassion for others, and ability to recognize that everyone experiences life in different ways, is part of what makes her unique.  

As a third year corrections major, Black is currently an intern with the Violence Awareness and Response Program (VARP) at MSU.

She is helping plan an event about healing from child sexual abuse. A film showing of “Invisible Scars” will take place, April 13. The showing will take place from 6-8p.m. in the Women’s Center, CSU-218.  

“After, there will be a discussion on using these experiences to heal and how this can impact life in a positive way,” said Black.  

She also attends Peer Educators Acting for Change and Equality (PEACE) and Women’s Conversation Circles.

Another organization that Black is apart of is Sexuality and Gender Equality (SAGE).

One of the bigger projects that she has worked on with SAGE is implementing gender-neutral bathrooms, and as of late, locker rooms throughout MSU. This would help the school to be more inclusive of trans and gender non-binary individuals on campus.

Black has also worked as an intern with the Women’s Center. She has been a member of the Women of Action Committee and helped organize the 2016 Black Girl Magic Dinner.  

When she isn’t on campus she is among friends.

MSU student Raelynn Barott said “I would give Yasmeen an A+. She even beat me at Jenga once.”

“She slays at Jenga,” said another friend, Cassie Roberts. “She is a really empowering person and makes everyone feel special.”  

In a world that can be chaotic and unpredictable, it is nice to know that someone has your back. Here at MSU, Yasmeen Black is that someone.

Resources on Campus: