This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

You may be wondering whether I am going through a break-up or some sort of midlife crisis at the age of nineteen for me to want to do this. I mean, why else would I want to shave my head, right? Well not necessarily. I’m sure most people who know me would probably think that this is a random thought and that I will change my mind, but I’ve actually always wanted to do this. Let me explain: 

There have been many things in my life that I’ve always wanted to do, but I felt like I couldn’t. I worried about what other people would think of me and how that would affect those who are close to me. I felt like I had an image to uphold of being this perfect person and that I had to follow these set rules. But after leaving home for college I realized that this life is my own and I would hate to look back on it and regret not doing something that I wanted to do because of fear. 

Wearing the clothes that I like. This seems ridiculous now but a few years ago I wore clothes that were very in tune with those around me. Even though I wanted to step out of that mold, I didn’t want to deal with the repercussions of the potential judgment. For as long as I could remember I have always loved overalls, but I never wore them because I wouldn’t fit in with the crowd. Last spring I bought my first pair and it was the best feeling in the world to wear something that I finally felt like myself in. 

Tattoos. I got my first tattoo when I was sixteen years old. It was something that I had planned on getting for years and I had to get approval from everyone I knew before I got it. But last summer I asked myself why I always had to have a plan when life rarely sticks to it. So on a whim, I went in and got a tattoo that meant a lot to me at the time. Would I recommend that for everyone? Nope. But it was again something that was spontaneous and made me feel alive. 

And now to the part you and I have all been waiting for, *drumroll please*, shaving my head. I remember growing up and always wanting to have fun hair. But I never felt like I was allowed to do so because you’re supposed to go to school and get a job and there’s no room for that. Now I see that that’s not true. I am young and not tied down to anything at the moment. So, why don’t I do something that I’ve always wanted to do? I want to have funky hair with different colors and weird cuts. Plus the best part is, hair grows back (even if it takes forever). 

My hope is that this article sparked something in you to go out and do things that you’ve always wanted to do. Whether that be travel the world in a van, go skydiving, or maybe shave your head. Either way go out and live life, it’s yours for the taking!

Paige
I am senior at MNSU and am studying to get a degree in Marketing with a minor in Mass Media. I love cooking, being around friends and family, going on little adventures, and just having fun.