Why Do We Celebrate Labor Day?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Today is Labor Day. It’s a nice break after the first two weeks of class that gives us a chance to settle back into the flow of school with a three day weekend. Many people, including myself, are wondering, why do we celebrate it?

Labor Day is always celebrated on the first Monday of September. It started as a holiday in only a few states until 1894 when Congress passed an act that decreed the first Monday in September as a legal holiday throughout the country. Labor Day was first suggested by the labor movement, which is a movement that fought for the common interest of workers. They’re the reason we have a minimum hourly wage, reasonable hours and safety regulations in the workplace. The day itself is meant to celebrate the achievements of American workers and be a tribute to all of the contributions they have made to the running of our country.

Originally, the celebrations that took place on Labor Day included a parade and a fair of sorts for families to enjoy, with speeches from local politicians. This Labor Day, whether you’re volunteering, attending a local parade or festival, or having a barbeque with your friends and family, don’t’ forget that you are a collegiette representing the hard work of the women’s labor movement of the past. Throughout the years, labor feminists have fought for equal pay, pregnancy leave, safety regulations for women of all ethnicities and battled sexual harassment cases of all sorts. World War II gave a platform for said labor feminists to get their change since the women were taking over defense and factory positions, and we have been reaping the benefits ever since. Reflect on the fact that discrimination based on sex is still a major issue in the labor force, but our predecessors made leaps and bounds to get us where we are today.

Enjoy your day off and be safe!

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!
Shaela Nelson (pronounced Shay-la), commonly referred to as Shae, is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato, majoring in marketing and minoring in entrepreneurship. Shaela enjoys being a part of many organizations on campus, volunteering with animals and randomly busting out crazy dance moves. Being from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes," you can find her enjoying the lake-life while boating, at any given time of the summer - when she's not a nanny for her favorite kiddos. Shaela enjoys writing for Her Campus because it allows her to express herself and the many ideas she has. Life Motto: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams; live the life you imagined." -Henry David Thoreau