This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Deer hunting to me is spending time with my mom, my dad, and my sisters. Deer hunting is taking target practice with leftover pumpkins. Deer hunting is displaying orange clothing on the porch railing for all to see. Deer hunting is checking deer cameras and cleaning out deer stands. Deer hunting is negotiating over who gets to hunt where, and which wind is the best. Deer hunting is for spending bonding time as a family.

Deer hunting to me is a time for traditions. Deer hunting is a time where family and friends from out of town get together to celebrate the exciting Minnesota holiday. Deer hunting is the one time of year, for some people, that family and friends from all over the state (and sometimes the country) get to see each other. Deer hunting is a time for meals to be eaten together and drinks to be shared. Deer hunting is a time to hear all of the stories from back in the day, and the stories of “the big one” that got away.

Deer hunting to me is a time to spend time with God and the beautiful graces He has made and blessed us with. Deer hunting is for sitting in silence in the woods, listening to the glorious birds, the dreaded squirrels that get your hopes up each and every time, the scary wolves, and if you’re lucky, the quiet deer walking through. Deer hunting is for woods, fields, and ponds. Deer hunting is for watching the sunrise, the sunset, and all that happens in between. Deer hunting is for experiencing the sun shine, the wind blow, the rain pour, and the snow fall. Deer hunting is getting to be out in the middle of God’s magic, beauty, and wonders while being able to talk to Him to thank Him for the life we have in this life. Deer hunting is for sitting in the elements and praying that “the big one” walks your way.

Deer hunting to me is a beautiful time of year where so much love is shared between each other, and from God Himself. Deer hunting is so much more than just harvesting the dazzling deer. Deer hunting is more than filling the freezer with fresh meat or filling the walls with trophy antlers. Deer hunting has such a peaceful feel, it is such a powerful way of life. Deer hunting may not be for the faint of hearts, but for some, this is how we live.

I know deer hunting is a big issue for a lot of people … but deer hunting is so much more than that for me.

I am a third year senior at MNSU! My major is Family Consumer Science Education, with a minor in Health Science.