This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

What a wild ride 2020 has been. This year has been monumental for many reasons: with the pandemic, Black Lives Matter movement, presidential election, and so much more. Everyone has grown and changed this year whether they wanted to or not. Through this article I want to focus on what I’ve learned personally over the past 365 days. 

Sometimes the best relationship to focus on is the one with yourself. I found it so easy to jump into a relationship as a distraction from the real world. I was naive to think that would solve all my problems. But, shockingly, it only made things more difficult. So, I’ve put my dating life on hold for the time being and am focusing on myself. I’m starting to learn what my own voice sounds like, what my true hobbies are, who I enjoy spending my time with, and what my core values are. Over the past few months I feel like I’ve finally gotten to know who I am. 

Life is short; do what makes you happy. Only you are responsible for your own happiness. Trying to please others is only going to make you miserable. So shave your head, and get that tattoo. If that’s what makes you happy then you should do it. 

Who you spend your time with can either fill you up, or drain you. The people in your life should support you and love you for who you are. I was always so afraid that people wouldn’t like me. The fear of rejection. But now I know I would rather be disliked for who I am then to be loved for who I’m not. I’ve also found that the people I have in my corner now truly add to my life and make it beautiful. 

There are plenty more lessons to be shared but these would be the main ones. I’m excited to see what 2021 can bring, but I can appreciate everything 2020 has brought me. So just a reminder: sometimes the best relationship to focus on is the one with yourself, life is short; do what makes you happy, and finally who you spend your time with can either fill you up, or drain you.

Paige