andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unique Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

It seemed as if the semester has just started and now spring break is right around the corner. For those who have yet to make travel plans or those who just want some ideas for next year, I am here to help! Here are five of my picks for unique spring break destinations that will fulfill the needs of any college traveler looking for an escape. 

1. New York City, NY

Ahh, New York. The city that never sleeps. Home to the Statue of Liberty, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Central Park, and of course, the backdrop of Gossip Girl. This is actually where I will be spending most of my spring break trip. There are plenty of places to visit, sights to see and food to eat. Personally, I am looking forward to visiting the MET again, shopping along the streets of Soho and of course, the FOOD!!!

2. Seattle, WA

This city is perfect for the urban traveler seeking something completely different from the normal tropical spring break destinations. Don’t be deterred by the rainy weather, for Seattle has a lot to offer. Soar to the top of the Space Needle, visit the first ever Starbucks Coffee, take a stroll around the University of Washington, or go for a shopping trip at Pike Place Market. If you have your passport with you, take a ferry ride to Victoria, British Columbia in Canada.

3. Washington D.C./Alexandria, VA

Take in the history of the United States of America by paying a visit to the nation’s capital. The Smithsonian Museums on the National Mall are a must-see, along with the Jefferson, Lincoln, Vietnam War and World War II Memorials. Make the short drive to Alexandria, VA for an old town feel and stroll down the historic streets before relaxing by the town fountain. For foodies, Shake Shack and Nando’s will be your best options. If you’re lucky, you may even catch the cherry blossom festival during the beginning of March!

4. Aruba

This lovely little island off the coast of Venezuela is a great destination for those who are craving the tropical sun. However, it is less popular than Florida or Mexico and offers a bit more tranquility. Fair warning, Aruba can be pricey, so be sure to save up! For the luxury traveler, stay at one of the many all-inclusive resorts and relax on the beach. For the more adventurous traveler, take an ATV ride through Arikok National Park. There are plenty of food options from high-end beachside restaurants to well-known American fast-food joints. Personally, I highly recommend a visit to Surfside Beach, a small cove with minimal waves, teal blue waters and fun views of planes touching down at Queen Beatrix International Airport.

5. Paris, France

If you are looking for a European escape, look no further than Paris. Paris is a dream to visit any time of the year and offers so many activities that will keep you busy for days. Art lovers have no despair, take a look at instantly recognizable pieces from Leonardo da Vinci, Claude Monet, and more at the Louvre or Musée d’Orsay. Take the perfect Instagram photos in front of the Eiffel Tower or Notre-Dame Cathedral. For a fun day trip, take the train from Paris to Versailles to visit The Palace of Versailles which boasts the world-famous gardens and Hall of Mirrors. Of course, there is an endless array of Parisian food just waiting to be devoured!

Annie Huynh is a junior Marketing student at Minnesota State University-Mankato. She was born and raised in North Mankato, MN. Her favorite seasons are summer and fall. On her days off, she likes to catch up on her favorite series on Netflix or take a trip to the mall.