This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

We all want to see the world, live large, act like millionaires and relax as much as we can, right? Especially if you call home to a place that might as well be the arctic this time of year. Unfortunately, the reality of it is is that most of us are college kids who work our butts off and can’t always afford to fly here and there on a whim and spend weeks on the beach. Not to fear though, I’ve got some tips to help save you the stress of the unknown, and some major bucks on planning your next excursion. Planning a trip can be hard, scary and time consuming, so here are a couple great places to start.

Every successful trip has one thing in common, and flexibility is going to be that key. It will be impossible to please all travellers involved if everyone has a stubborn picture in their minds of how the week should go that they won’t budge on. Even when it comes to the planning process itself, beginning with an open mind will make both your trek and the preparations a much more enjoyable experience. It’s not worth it to ruin something that should be fun with a crappy attitude or unrealistic expectations.

Keeping in mind that we are on a budget, the first thing to address is where we can cut costs while still achieving an exceptional experience. Driving to your destination will cut possible expensive flight costs from your budget, and leave room for a lot more activities. It will also help you avoid the hassle and stress of having to rent a car once you reach your destination (I’ll get to that next). Splitting gas costs and driving in shifts is actually a lot more manageable than it sounds, and if roadtrips are your thing, you might as well go for it and save a couple bucks while you’re at it!

If your dream destination is too far to drive, or you aren’t crazy about spending hours in the car, I’ve got two words for you; Thrifty Traveler. This website is an absolute godsend. From the craziest cheap flight deals to tips on the best travel credit card (hello, free mile perks), they have the best travel hacks to keep you within your budget and still exploring the globe. Sign up for their email alerts to get the most up to date flight deals for your next destination search! Another great resource is Skyscanner, which allows you to view flights across a whole month to find the best price. If you are able or willing to be flexible with your travel dates, this can be super helpful in saving some dollars!

Once you pick a flight, choose to NOT check a bag. Pack a little lighter, and carry with you one “personal item”, which can classify as a backpack, purse, or small item- plus a carry on. I recently traveled with Delta and I easily fit my ‘luggage’ all in one small suitcase and brought with a backpack as well. This avoided the extra fees of having to check a suitcase, and the hassle of checking/waiting to receive my luggage or worries of it being lost. Take advantage of this hack, especially if you are traveling somewhere warm and you can get away with bringing smaller clothing items.

Many of you most likely know what Airbnb is, a service that gives you the option to stay in someone’s verified house, a guest space, or a completely private entity for a nightly price. This option can help save you a ton of extra fees and help create an extremely customized experience with whatever you are comfortable with. It can also add character to the trip and help you meet some wonderful people if your hosts are involved, and they can show you some great local attractions or local eats that you may otherwise miss! Hotels can be great options too, if you do it right. Just keep your eyes peeled for last minute drops in prices or reward programs that earn you free nights.

On that note, don’t forget to check out travel sites and apps for the area you are visiting. There are endless free resources out there for any location, touristy or not! Whether you are interested in relaxing options, spas, outdoor feats like hiking or sights, museums, bars or restaurants, clubs, you name it. Listen to the locals and don’t be afraid to ask that friendly server or airport worker to share some recommendations and must-sees with you!

As far as food goes, eating out while away from home can be extremely spendy and get old quick if you continually over do it. Packing with you healthyish (or not, you do you) non-perishable snacks that you can stash in a backpack or purse on the go will keep you sane and spare your wallet expensive airport or gas station splurges, which can add up quick. Granola bars and nuts are super safe bets- that won’t melt or go bad, but remember to keep anything liquid under 3 oz if you’re traveling on an airplane!

It’s important to plan ahead, and if you are not a huge fan of eating out all the time like me, choosing lodging that has a small kitchenette (at least a fridge and microwave) is a great way to save money and make things less stressful. Once you reach your destination, finding a grocery store to stock up on some staples and easy to cook things for breakfasts, or picking a few meals to cook up for yourselves will save on restaurant costs and the heaviness that can accumulate while traveling.

As I touched base on before, if you do decide to fly to your destination, it is going to essential for you to plan accordingly how you will commute or get from place to place once you arrive and throughout your stay. Many cities have bus systems, bike rental options, or Uber or Lyft available if your activities aren’t within walking distance. If you do feel like you might need to rent a car for longer trip or your lodging is out of town or not easily accessible- car rentals can be a nightmare, but there’s a better option out there! Check out this website called Turo, which is essentially the airbnb of cars. People can allow you to borrow out their cars for a day or a period or time (you set your requirements and it shows you what’s available in that area), and there are prices per day that vary depending on the type of car. It’s a much more affordable way to get around!

As always, safety is extremely important when traveling, especially in this day and age. Always travel in a group and don’t neglect to check in with your buddies. Let someone know where you’re going, put down the phone and be aware of your surroundings, and do your research ahead of time so you don’t end up in a sticky situation. I hope these tips help you have a smooth and budget friendly planning experience, while not skimping on any of the exciting spring break shenanigans!

I am a senior Marketing major and Innovation and Entrepreneurship minor at MNSU, Mankato. I've been in charge of both the Marketing and Event teams for my Her Campus chapter and I love every second! Just a small town girl who loves Jesus, cooking and baking, being active, getting lots of sunshine, traveling, and spending time with her amazing family! 
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.