This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Tis the season of Christmas movies! Ever since I was young, spending a cozy, snowy night in watching Christmas movies has been one of my favorite things to do to get into the holiday spirit. Out of all the good ones there are, I will give you a list of my top five favorite holiday movies.

1)    The Santa Clause

This movie is about a divorced dad, Scott Calvin (Tim Allen), who has custody of his son, Charley (Eric Lloyd), on Christmas Eve. During the movie, Scott accidentally killed Santa by calling at him while he was on the roof of their home. Santa then fell off the roof and vanished. Scott then puts on the suit and is then turned into Santa Clause. Throughout the movie, they show the transformation of Scott turning into Santa Clause, and all the ups and downs it brought both him and Charley. This movie is a classic and a movie the whole family will love. Following this movie, they have created The Santa Clause 2 and The Santa Clause 3. They are all a “must see” this holiday season!

2)    Christmas With the Kranks

This movie has such a good meaning and is sure to give you a good laugh! Luther (Tim Allen) and his wife, Nora Krank (Jamie Lee Curtis), finally have a Christmas alone while their daughter is away on a trip. They decide to skip Christmas this year and save up for a cruise instead. This does not sit well with their neighbors who deck out for Christmas each year. Soon, the Kranks find themselves in a pickle with their neighbors and with the news of the daughter surprising them home for the holidays, they have to make a Christmas miracle happen fast. Not only will this movie have you laughing nonstop, it has a great Christmas message in it as well. Must watch!

3)    Home Alone

Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin), a naughty eight-year-old, acts out the night before a trip to Paris with his family. His mother makes him sleep in the attic that night. The next morning the whole family overslept and, in a hurry, to leave for their trip they forgot Kevin at home. This movie then shows what Kevin does while being home alone and how he fights off burglars trying to break in and steal. This is another movie that is sure to make you laugh. Home Alone is followed by Home Alone 2, Home Alone 3 and even Home Alone 4.

4)    How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Ahhhhh a classic by Dr. Seuss!! The Grinch (Jim Carrey) decided to ruin Christmas for all the cheery and happy people of Whoville. The mean ol’ Grinch befriends a little girl Cindy Lou Who (Taylor Momsen) who then tries to show him what Christmas is all about and change his thoughts on the holiday. This movie is one that will make you laugh and has a great reasoning behind it. One of my absolute favorites since childhood!

5)    Elf

Buddy the Elf (Will Ferrell) accidently made his way into Santa’s bag as a baby and grew up and raised in the North Pole. He knows nothing about the real world, other than The North Pole. Buddy, then, goes on a quest to New York City to find his dad and real family. This is yet, another, movie that is sure to bring a smile to your face.

These are among some of my favorite holiday movies. Hopefully, if you do, decide to watch one or all of these you find as much laughter and joy in these as I have. Happy Holidays, all!!!

Kalli Steinberg

Minnesota '20

I am currently a senior at Minnesota State University - Mankato studying Business Marketing. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, being outside, running, working out and shopping.
Hannah is a Junior at Minnesota State University, Mankato and one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC MNSU chapter. She is currently double majoring in Marketing and Business Management with a Minor in Entrepreneurship and Innovation.