Things to Do when You’re Jobless

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

So, you are currently in between jobs, or maybe you’ve got some extra time on your hands. Here are a few worthwhile things to consider doing now that you have free time.

Develop a New Skill

It doesn’t have to be related to your field of study (although it doesn’t hurt if it is), but now is the time to improve yourself in whatever that interests you. Any skill from coding to cooking is worth picking up; and even if it doesn’t end up on your resume, you’ll be enriched either way.

Volunteer

You don’t need money to volunteer; you just need time. And now that you have it, there’s no excuse not to volunteer. Check out your local food shelf or soup kitchen, visit a nearby pet shelter or offer your help at the neighbourhood daycare. Any help you can offer to those in need goes a long way to making life easier for everybody. It’s also worth noting that volunteer experience looks good on a resume.

Explore Alternate Sources of Income

You don’t need a formal employment to make money; nowadays, anything can be monetized. Remember the skill you’ve recently picked up? Well, here’s your chance to monetize it. Create a freelance coding business, get paid to cook for your fellow college students, sew costumes for your kid sister’s school play, etc. Or just sell your gently-used things online.

Get Healthy

You’ve probably been neglecting your health while working full time, schooling full time, and trying to socialize during the remaining time (if there is any). Well, now is the time to remember your health. Try cooking at home more often or take up hiking, or boxing, or swimming… the possibilities are endless.

Relax

Catch up with your favourite TV shows, treat yourself with a spa day, or just sleep. Whenever you have free time, it’s important to use that time to rejuvenate. When you get back to work, there’s no telling when such an opportunity will present itself again.

Sammy is what you would call a Student Solider. She is in the Army and also a Senior at MNSU. Her major is Mass Media and her minor is Communication Studies. She is from Cottage Grove, MN and enjoys her weekends in the cities. She enjoys being the Her Campus MNSU Chapters Campus Correspondent and also Young Life. She wishes that fall season was year round, but living in Minnesota she will have deal with all the seasons it brings.