Things About America That Are Bizarre to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

Bizarre: Very strange or unusual. (Oxford Dictionary)

Its been over six months since I arrived in the United States and there are many about this place that are different from what Im used to. Here are a few:

1. TIPPING

Source

I used to think of tipping as a reward for exceptional service. Apparently, I thought wrong, since lots of waiters/waitresses expect to be tipped regardless of the quality of service.

2. SALES TAX

Source

In my opinion, it doesnt make a lot of sense that the price on a price tag is hardly ever what I end up paying at the till. Wouldnt it be easier to just, I dont know, include the sales tax when calculating the price???

3. COFFEE OBSESSION

Source

Ive read about it, and Ive seen it on TV. But somehow, I never imagined it would be quite the same in real life. So I decided to try it myself, and guess what? I still dont get it.

4. THE SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT

Source

Its going to take me awhile to get used to hearing people measure in Fahrenheits and pounds. And why are the dates written backwards?

5. ADVERTISEMENTS

Source

There are a lot. And what makes it weird is that a lot of them are for prescription drugs. I wont even go into details about the irony of a pain killer causing side effects like suicidal thoughts.

6. ORGANIC FOODS ARE SCARCE

Source

Why, though?

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

·  Almost everyone owns a car: public transport is not very effective, except in places like New York.

·  Good chocolate is hard to find.

·  Salad is served before the main course.