They Were Harmed: A Campaign to End Animal Cruelty in Hollywood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MNSU chapter.

You have probably heard of the famous movie certification, “No animals were harmed in the making of this film.” The American Humane Association created Humane Hollywood to monitor use of animals on movie sets.

Films that follow the AHA guidelines are ranked and given the “No animals were harmed”® certification.

A research group at Minnesota State University, Mankato has been reviewing AHA guidelines and the list of films that have received the certification. Their findings revealed several violations and instances where animals were harmed while under supervision(or lack thereof) of the AHA.

They Were Harmed. is a campaign to hold the AHA accountable for violating its guidelines and awarding the certification to movies where animals were severely injured or even killed on set.

An action day and vigil will be held Monday, May 17 from 11a.m.-2p.m., outdoors in the CSU Mall. The event will be held during Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month. Attendees will be sending postcards, signing a petition and mourning animals who lost their lives for our entertainment.

I urge those in Mankato to attend, if possible.